MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I parked in a smart parking car park in March, paid the

Customer Question

I parked in a smart parking car park in March, paid the correct fee and they have sent me a fine of 100 they say I didn’t pay enough. I only had cash of 5 pound coins. I put them all in the machine. They are saying I only paid 4.70 instead of 4.80.
JA: Was a citation issued? Was a court date set?
Customer: No I’ve been trying to fight this through popla
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: yes but I can’t afford to pay anything
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

In this case, you won’t have to pay the parking ticket again - you just need to prove you have paid. It is quick and free to do. You should contact whoever gave you the ticket and tell them how much you paid and when. Explain that they must stop sending you letters because harassment is a criminal offence under section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 and section 2 of the protection from Harassment Act 1997.

Essentially, to prove you’ve paid, send one or more of the following:

• a bank statement with the amount and date you paid highlighted or underlined - for security, cover your account number and sort code
  • your receipt if you paid in person - for example at a post office or to a police officer for an on-the-spot Fixed Penalty Notice
  • a printed copy of the email confirmation - or a screenshot of the confirmation screen – if you paid online

However, if you were ordered to pay the parking ticket to a court, you should include a receipt for any money you paid into the Court Funds Office.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The machine only took cash, I have no proof, I received the parking charge notice almost 3 weeks after, I had thrown the ticket out by then. I’m so upset about this as I know I paid more than I should have.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I paid 5 pounds, the machine gave no change
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Are you still there please?

You can use your bank statement as well to prove that you have paid. Also, you should explain that they must stop sending you letters because harassment is a criminal offence under section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 and section 2 of the protection from Harassment Act 1997.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The amount isn’t on the bank statement I paid cash

Have you contacted the machine owner?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Machine owner?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
You can’t speak to anyone at smart parking all done through e mail

If that's the case, when you paid it in cash, you should have a printed copy of the email confirmation or any receipts, without it, you cannot prove that you've paid the fine already. In this regard, you should appeal the fine.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have through popla they said I was unsuccessful
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
They said next step would be citizens advice

I understand. Your case would also benefit from being reviewed by a local solicitor, would you like me to provide details on how to locate one close to your home address?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
but this is all going to cost me money
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Why should I have too I’ve done nothing wrong, if only I had that ticket

Yes, I agree. In any case, you should explain that under section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 and section 2 of the protection from Harassment Act 1997, they must stop sending you letters. Tell them:

• the date you paid
  • who you sent the payment to
  • your parking ticket reference number  
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I paid for my car park on the day I parked, I haven’t paid anymore, I’ve been trying to fight this, I paid 5 pounds they say I only paid 4.70 so where do I go from here. Can they send me to court

The only thing you can do is send them written correspondence setting out your case.

Include the following. I have paid x amount on x date via cash, please kindly note that this is my final and reasonable offer in settlement of the matter. Should you wish to proceed any further I reserve the right to produce this correspondence in court as evidence of my reasonable attempt to settle the matter.