JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

Jim Please see attached I am not sure what the driver is

Customer Question

hi JimPlease see attachedI am not sure what the driver is expecting me to do, slams the brakes at 45mph on a 50mph carriageway?Yet as I managed to go around her, she put her headlights on?##Was I suppose to brake and let her in - am I at fault?Thanks
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 14 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome back to JustAnswer.

I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks Jim, I was alarmed and had to quickly react, luckily the car on the middle lane was few cars behind
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 14 days ago.

So this is a three lane carriage way and 50mph limit - there is a feeder lane to your nearside and I can see the red car edging out.

This is dangerous and the Highway Code is clear in that priority must be given to traffic already on the carriageway - she should not have come out as she could easily have caused a high speed collision. That was careless driving on her part. Her front offside wheel is over the dotted line, in your path.

I have no idea why she thinks this was your fault when the Highway Code is clear - obviously you were driving defensively which is a good thing, anticipating the car emerging - as you never know what someone will do or if they have seen your vehicle - it does look quite dark and wet so visibility is an issue. If you had been driving a lorry you may have collided with her but thankfully there was no accident.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 14 days ago.

I hope this helps

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 14 days ago.

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,

Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 14 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question by typing @JimLawyer.

Thanks again,

Jim

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you Jim, I wondered why she flashed her headlights as you can see. I appreciate the advice, thank you
The rain seems to be bring worse out in some drivers
Have a good evening
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 14 days ago.

Yes, I am amazed too - and yes, I agree with bad weather comes worse driving on occasion.