ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

It is regarding a parking fine on private property,

Customer Question

It is regarding a parking fine on private property
JA: What location was this in? And have you consulted a local lawyer?
Customer: Colchester no
JA: Was a citation issued? Was a court date set?
Customer: i am getting letters from debt collection plus
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have gotten fines at my hospital accommodation
Asa i thought the parking permit the hospital gave me was valid for the entire duration of my contract
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.
Hi welcome to justanswer
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have got a fine from a private firm for parking outside my hospital accommodation.
They gave me a parking permit however i thought this was valid for the whole 3 months of my contract not knowing this is only valid for 1 month after which i can get a new one in the office free of charge.I have written them an email as follows.
Good morning Trudy, hope you are well.
I had a chat with Russel today and he advised to email you about my parking fines.
He said he already discussed the details with you previously.My question is, as swan housing being the organisation hiring the parking company, is it not possible to contact them and explain the situation?
I understand that the parking company are there so that people do not park illegally thus inconveniencing residents like myself, and I agree with that; however this is not the case here. I have got more than 8 fines in around 2-3 weeks, they haven't stuck anything on the car so I didn't know that there was something wrong and all the letters were going to my previous address.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have got 5 fines where they have not stuck anything to the car and i was not aware of anything wrong until the letters went to my previous address. I am staying at a temporary address after moving houses.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. This really is an unfortunate situation. The private parking firm could legally still pursue you as you would not have had the requisite permit to park there on the days you did. There would not have been an onus on them to enquire into whether the hospital had made an administrative error in not informing you on how to proceed.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Do you think I will lose if it goes to court?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.

You could try to persuade them to try to resolve this amicably in light of the fact that this by all accounts seems to be an error. If talks fail, you would need to proceed through the parking company’s appeals process. If you are u successful in your matter goes to court, then you could be unsuccessful if I am being absolutely candid with you.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.

The real question I believe is whether you could then seek to get this money back from the hospital. If they failed to notify you of the duration of the permit you may be able to claim the money back from them. If however they had notified you perhaps in writing and you simply failed to read the document then any claims against them by you is likely also to fail.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.

I would however not advise to abandon your request for them to exercise discretion. If it appears as though it’s heading to court, I would settle.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.