TheLawLDN
TheLawLDN, Lawyer
Experience:  Expert
116381621

I have recevied a letter to summons for speeding ticket,

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: i have recevied a letter to summons for speeding ticket
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what location this is in?
Customer: northern ireland
JA: Was a citation issued? Was a court date set?
Customer: there is a date set yes
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i received because - i forgot to change the address for the car thats why i never received any letters - until 2 police officers came to me
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I'm an adviser with JA and I will try to help you.

Please note the following:

1. Do not provide personal information/data here. Please note that, under UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
  2. If you request a call, this can be either with me or with another expert that is available to pick your request.
  3. This service is intended for general information only, not advice, and does not include the examination of documents.
  4. JA does not provide legal representation and no client/lawyer relationship of any kind will be established.
  5. If you need (urgent) legal representation or advice, or answering your question requires the examination of documents and/or non-straightforward activity that falls outside the remit of this service, you should consider consulting a solicitor – and/or a barrister as the case may be – which you can look for at the following links:

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

https://www.barcouncil.org.uk/find-a-barrister.html

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I will try to assist with your query.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
hi
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

Hello, could you upload the summons you received, after redacting all personal information?

Documents examination is a Premium Service, to be arranged separately, but I will make an exception for a single document.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
which page?
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

How many pages is the document?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Summons to Defendant to answer Complaint?
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

I am interested in reading the part where they explain why you are being summoned.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
File attached (LQ673T2)
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
i just want to know what will happen?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
i never received the fines or mail to my new adress, thats why. everything went to the old adress
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

The request that they mention was made on 21 October, how was it made?

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

Was a letter sent to your old address that was not delivered/returned to the the police as you are no longer living at that address?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

What address do you have on your driving license?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
2 police officers came to my new address to explain me somehow
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
my driver license is from France - im a french citizen, but live in Northern Ireland now
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

How long have you been resident in NI?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
3 years
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I dont understand Section 2 mentioning 21st day of October 2021
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

And you still drive with a French license?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
is it wrong?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I guess i have insured just before the brexit
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

Under Sec. 177(c) of the Road Traffic (Northern Ireland) Order 1981, where the driver of a vehicle is alleged to be guilty of an offence (in your case, exceeding the speed limit), "any other person shall, if required as aforesaid, give any information which it is in his power to give and which may lead to the identification of the driver or owner of the vehicle, and, if he fails to do so, he shall be guilty of an offence under this Order."

The date of October 21, 2021 is when they sent the letter asking for information about the driver at the time of the offence.

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

You need to speak with a motoring solicitor.

This is a court procedure and you may end up with a criminal record.

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

You may find a motoring solicitor browsing the website of the Law Society of Northern Ireland: https://www.lawsoc-ni.org/solicitors

You may also find one browsing the web.

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

Take action on this as soon as possible.

This is not at all to be neglected.

Sometimes people underestimate how serious it can be to be charged with a driving offence in the UK.

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best.

Please do not hesitate to contact JA again if you need help and you may ask to speak with me directly if you wish.

Regards.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
im trying to get this done for sure. but can a criminal offense be avoided? in some case? and how much should i expect to pay?
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 17 days ago.

The solicitor will fully assess your case and will of course try to claim at least for mitigating circumstances.

Unfortunately, exceeding the speed limit is an offence by itself.

Please do not post other messages here, as I have closed this conversation.

In case, you might open a new question and it will be addressed.

Regards.