Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Jo, Interesting one for you here. I am a Swedish resident as

Hi Jo,
Interesting one for you here. I am a Swedish resident as I live and work there, but I received an automated parking fine from a company last year (2021) regarding parking in a restaurant car park near London City Airport. This was during the height of covid and I was carrying out essential work in hospitals, so was entitled to be out. When I received the fine, i immediately called the restaurant, and they told me to send in a copy of my receipt to the parking company and it would be fine. That didn't work, they pursued me further and demanded payment.
I tried to explain that I had not hired the car, the company I worked for did. Also I was entitled to park there as I was a paying patron of the restaurant and that was their car park. Also the dining was alfresco, as you weren't allowed inside, so I was unaware that had I gone inside I had to register the cars registration number to avoid this.
Long story short, the parking company have sold my debt to a debt collection agency and they are threatening me with court, a CCJ and bailiffs.
My last known address was in Northern Ireland, but I now permanently reside in Sweden.
What, if anything, can I do?
I've explained that I live in Sweden and a solicitor now acting on behalf of the debt collection agency has seen proof of my Swedish residency, so I'm at a loss what to do now.
Thanks in advance
Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Who is the issuer?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Creative Parking
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It then went to another company called Civil Enforcement Ltd and then the debt was sold to a company called ZZPS. QDR are the Solicitors now acting on behalf of ZZPS to recover the debt by involving the courts

Are you asking if you are liable?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I'm basically asking if I have to pay, as I live in Sweden

Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Sometimes I will get back to you very quickly, other times it's going to be longer and possibly hours or overnight

Please bear in mind that it takes me time to type answers and I also have clients and sometimes have to attend court so I may not get back to you immediately.

They cannot enforce this against you without a CCJ.

If you are living in Sweden they would have to sue in Sweden or get cross jurisdictional orders which they won’t do over a small fine.

Dpnt worry about this. Nothing will ever happen over it.

They will send you some very nasty letters but that w ill be the end of it.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
You have answered it beautifully, thank you for your time

It was my pleasure to assist you. Please come back if anything else crops up and needs clarification.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer, and of course me, with your legal problem.

If you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question by typing @JoC

Thanks again,