Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

We received a parking charge notice from UKPC in May but

Customer Question

Hi we received a parking charge notice from UKPC in May but they had sent it to our old address - we had already moved by then, and the new tenants gave us the letters on Friday 29th July - over 2 months later because they were on holiday. The charge was originally £60 from UKPC, but now it is £170 charge from ZZPS Debt Collection Company. What should we do?
JA: What location was this in? And have you consulted a local lawyer?
Customer: It was at Station Shopping Park, RG1 8BA, and no we havent consulted a lawyer.
JA: Was a citation issued? Was a court date set?
Customer: Yes we had a citation sent to us - but it had gone to the old address. No there is no court date
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No thats all
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 15 days ago.

Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays.

Do you accept that you did not comply with parking terms and conditions at the time?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
the limit was 2 hours but we overstayed by 22 minutes but we didn’t know about the limit; however because we never received the original charge letter, we were unaware, and now the charge has gone to £170 without our fault
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No thanks i cannot call

Thanks for the further information.

I suggest you challenge the fine on the basis that they have not proved how they arrived at the amount requested for staying in a car park for 22 minutes over the limit.

Therefore I suggest you consider making an offer and also request a breakdown of how they arrived at the amount requested for overstaying by 22 minutes.

I hope I have clarified the position.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** I contact UKPC directly to appeal ?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Also is it justifiable that they increased the cost from £60 to £170 because it went to the wrong address

Yes you can contact to appeal.

Potentially if they show that the amount claimed is the precise amount lost as a result of the breach

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given. If you require further legal advice on another matter, please create a new question and tag @anthonychendo in the expert box. I will be notified of your request and prioritise it.

Thanks and stay safe