Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have multiple fines from Lewisham council for failing to

Customer Question

Hi, I have multiple fines from Lewisham council for failing to comply with a restriction of a vehicle entering a pesdestrian zone. (Contravention 53j). I did it multiple times as I did not see the signage and I park on the road for work. I understand I will have to pay a fine of some sort but want to see if I can appeal in such a way they reduce the multiple fines I have into a more reasonable penalty.
JA: What location was this in? And have you consulted a local lawyer?
Customer: Sydenham: Bell Green Lane junc with Stanton Way. I have not yet sought legal help.
JA: Was a citation issued? Was a court date set?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I committed the same offence 3 times per week for 3 weeks running before I started to receive correspondence through the post which is when I stopped.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 days ago.
Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi Jo, I have a number of penalty charges from Lewisham council because i failed to see signage designed to stop me driving in a pedestrian area. I made the same mistake 3 times per week for 3 weeks until I received a letter from Lewisham alerting me to what I had done. I have already received three PCN's and I shall certainly receive another 6 in the post shortly. Can you help with a way I can appeal and pay a lower fine?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 days ago.

Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Sometimes I will get back to you very quickly, other times it's going to be longer and possibly hours or overnight

Please bear in mind that it takes me time to type answers and I also have clients and sometimes have to attend court so I may not get back to you immediately.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 days ago.

What is your challenge?

You seem to accept the allegation?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I do indeed. It is not so much a challenge but more to see whether I can make Lewisham understand I made the same mistake for three weeks running and therefore appeal in such a way that I do not have to pay £130.00 for every contravention.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I didn't see the signage as I have been following a sat nav to my new job every day and my sat nav directs me up that road. I didn't see the signage which is quite a long way before the turn off.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The road leads me to the road where I park near work.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Do you think I could get a reduction in the amount I must pay?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 days ago.

None of this amounts to a defence obviously.

you can always appeal asking them to use their discretionary grounds to cancel but the chances that they will do so are fairly low.

There isn’t a massive risk in appealing though as they will preserve the 14 day discount usually anyway and it will buy some time, but it probably won’t succeed.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 days ago.

Im really sorry but that is the position.

I am sorry but I have to tell you the truth.

Do remember that I can only give you my opinion.

Another lawyer may have a different opinion. Litigation needs at least 2 parties and neither goes to court expecting to lose.

Nonetheless, one of them does, even though they have been told by their respective legal advisers that they have a good chance of success.

If there was a black-and-white answer to every legal problem there would be no need for anything to ever proceed to court.

The ultimate decision comes from a county court judge in a civil case or from the magistrate in a criminal case heard in the magistrates court or the jury in Crown Court.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
ok thanks.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 days ago.

It was my pleasure to assist you. Please come back if anything else crops up and needs clarification.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer, and of course me, with your legal problem.

If you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question by typing @JoC

Thanks again,