How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 12234
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I just got a letter today the 1st one saying I got to pay a

Customer Question

Hi I just got a letter today the 1st one saying I got to pay a 1 70 pound when I know I paid for my parking and had no other letter to say I got a parking ticket there just sead all sent one out it must of got lost in the post you got to pay 170pounds I don't think that rhite when this is the 1st thing I new about it today
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what location this is in?
Customer: Trowbridge gateway shopping centre
JA: Was a citation issued? Was a court date set?
Customer: No nothing there just sent me a debt recovery called debt recovery plus woting 170 pounds this is the 1st letter I hade on it nothing else
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I know I paid 2 pound for parking I was there 30 mines on the day the screen to the machine was broken I put the ticket in my car thinking I did ever thing rhite
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 14 days ago.

You should contact the parking company and explain you did pay. In terms of this situation, where you go from here depends on the type of parking fine you initially received. There are two, that could be possible in this scenario:

a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) or an Excess Charge Notice (ECN) – usually issued by the council on public land, such as a high street or council car park
a Parking Charge Notice – issued by a landowner or parking company on private land, such as a supermarket car park

If it is a ECN the steps, are as follows:

You’ll be sent a letter and a form called a ‘notice to owner’. Don't be put off if the letter sounds final – you still have 28 days to make a formal appeal, called ‘making formal representations’. It’s free to appeal and the notice to owner will tell you how.

You can usually get a 50% discount if you pay soon after your informal appeal is rejected. It's a good idea to pay at this point if the council have a strong reason for objecting your appeal. If you don’t appeal and don’t pay within 28 days, the penalty will go up by another 50%.

If your formal appeal's rejected, you’ll be sent a letter called a ‘notice of rejection’. You can challenge the council’s decision at an independent tribunal. It’s free to do and you don’t have to go to the tribunal – you can submit your reasons and evidence in writing. Appeal online on the website of the Traffic Penalty Tribunal (outside London): or London Tribunals (in London):

If it is a PCN:

Check the British Parking Association (BPA): or International Parking Community (IPC) websites: to see if a parking company is a member of an ATA.

If the parking company isn’t an ATA member, there’s no formal appeals process but there are other things you can do.

If the parking company is an ATA member, you can appeal to an independent appeals service. It’s free to do, so it’s worth trying if you still think your ticket was unfair. They might see things differently to the parking company and agree that your ticket should be cancelled.

The way to appeal will depend on if the parking company that gave you the ticket is a member of the BPA or IPC approved operators scheme. Make a formal appeal to Parking on Private Land Appeals (POPLA): if they’re a BPA parking company. If they’re an IPC member, make a formal appeal to the Independent Appeals Service:

For a ticket from a BPA member, you have 28 days from when your informal appeal was rejected to make a formal appeal.

For a ticket from an IPC member, you can make a formal appeal for free within 21 days. After 21 days, you can still appeal within 1 year of your formal appeal being rejected if you pay a £15 fee.

Make sure you include any evidence that will support your case. I trust this assists 

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No I ok on this thank you
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 14 days ago.

Ok happy to assist