Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

I received tickets and I now have a CCJ, what can I do,

Customer Question

I received tickets and I now have a CCJ, what can I do
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what location this is in?
Customer: Private property in north west London
JA: Was a citation issued? Was a court date set?
Customer: Yes, I now have a CCj
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 6 days ago.

Welcome to JA.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays.

Is this one you wish to challenge the CCJ or pay the same?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I want to challenge it

Given you wish to challenge the claim you will need to set-aside the CCJ.

Thus you have to make an application using form n244. Within the application you will need explain why you did not respond to the claim within the deadline and also if this matter went to trial you will successfully defeat the claim.

The rules surrounding this area of law is CPR rule 13.

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part13

Once you have completed the application you will need to send a copy to the court and your opponent.

You can download a copy of the application and the guidance notes using the link below;

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n244-application-notice

The court will then consider your application and either make a decision or list the matter for a hearing where both parties will have to attend.

If the application is successful the court will set-aside the judgment and you will be given the opportunity to defend the claim. However if the application is not successful then the ccj will remain and you may be liable to pay further costs.

Therefore my advice is to instruct a local solicitor to assist you with drafting the application.

You can find a local solicitor using the link below:

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

I hope I have clarified the position if not please let me know.

Thanks and stay safe.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given. If you require further legal advice on another matter, please create a new question and tag @anthonychendo in the expert box. I will be notified of your request and prioritise it.

Thanks and stay safe