MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I have a parking fine with apcoa. they are now asking for

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: i have a parking fine with apcoa. they are now asking for £170. do i have to pay?
JA: The answer cost depends on the issue and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit. Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: sittingbourne. kent
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i appealed. stating it was honest mistake that i forgot to pay for parking. i park there alot so they have plenty of records of me paying before. they rejected the appeal
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no nothing else
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 11 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Since you appealed and the parking company rejected it. In this situation, you have two options:

1) You can choose not to pay your parking ticket, in which case the parking company will determine if it is worthwhile to take you to court.

If the parking company takes you to court and you lose: (a) you will be required to pay the fine, which may have increased by then; (b) you may be required to pay court fees, which could be costly.

However, if you succeed: (a) you will not be required to pay the fee; (b) the parking company may be responsible for court fees.

2) If you do not wish for the parking company to take you to court, you should pay your parking ticket; this will prevent the fine from increasing. When you pay, you should state that you are "paying under protest." It is prudent to put it in writing to have a copy. Then you can file a "small claim" in court to recover your money.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
whos side are the court likely to take?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
i feel very unfair to be fined when i clearly use the car park alot
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
i have used it for 8ish years
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
also if i lost would i get a criminal record or points on licence
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 10 days ago.

1. There is no guarantee, however, the court will decide based on the evidence presented. 
  2. No, you won't get a criminal record or points on your licence.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
ok thank you
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
the company i am dealing with is APCOA. does all of the above apply with them? and they using debt recovery plus to hound me

Yes. it does. Debt is not a criminal offense, and therefore would not get you a criminal record. It is also not a traffic offense, so no points are given to your licence.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
ok great thank you

No problem. Thank you for your enquiry today. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have further enquiries in the future. We are always happy to help.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. I am always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.