TheLawLDN
TheLawLDN, Lawyer
Experience:  Expert
116381621

I parked in a parking eye car park paid £2.00 for parking I

Customer Question

Hi I parked in a parking eye car park paid £2.00 for parking I was in the car park for 1 hour 20 mins. When I purchased the ticket no refund was given to suggest I had over paid for 1 hour or under paid for 2 hours and the ticket stated no expiry time. I have received a fine for £100 discounted to £60 if I paid within 14 days. I have just read on money need that the maximum fine is now £50 and that should be discounted what can I do?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what location this is in?
Customer: Derby
JA: Was a citation issued? Was a court date set?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not that I can think of
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I'm an adviser with JA and I will try to help you.

Please note the following:

1. Do not provide personal information/data here. Please note that, under UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural ­person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
  2. If you request a call, this can be either with me or with another expert that is available to pick your request.
  3. This service is intended for general information only, not advice, and does not include the examination of documents.
  4. JA does not provide legal representation and no client/lawyer relationship of any kind will be established.
  5. If you need (urgent) legal representation or advice, or answering your question requires the examination of documents and/or non-straightforward activity that falls outside the remit of this service, you should consider consulting a solicitor – and/or a barrister as the case may be – which you can look for at the following links:

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

https://www.barcouncil.org.uk/find-a-barrister.html

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 13 days ago.

I'm afraid that what you read on the internet was the object of a proposal.

Parking charges may still be up to £100.

Can you please clarify why exactly you were charged?

For overstaying?

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 13 days ago.

My battery is going down.

Please leave the reply here and I will revert back later.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Yeah I was charged for overstaying.
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 13 days ago.

And did you actually overstay?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It said £1.50 1 hour i think £2.50 2 hours. I paid £2.00 and was there for 1 hour 20 mins. It offered no refund stated £2 on the ticket and didn’t give any expiry time.
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 13 days ago.

When was the charge issued? (date of the parking)

And when did you receive it in the post?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Date of parking was 13/06/22
Date issued was 17/06/22
I appealed and was told that unfortunately although I paid I still over stayed. I received a response to the appeal on 21/07/22 today is the last day I have to pay the discounted fine of £60.
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 13 days ago.

Only you can know if you overstayed or not.

You normally pay for the time that you input as stay; then, if you leave the parking bay late, your leave time is recorded on camera (or by the enforcement employee) and they send parking charge.

These parking management companies are normally technologically well equipped and challenging their data recording in court is normally quite difficult.

If you don't pay the reduced charge, it will go back to £100 and a collection fee will be added which is normally of £70.

If this goes to court, there is of course also the risk of being liable for the court fees to consider.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best.

Please do not hesitate to contact JA again if you need help and you may ask to speak with me directly if you wish ("For TheLawLDN only").

I would appreciate it if you could provide a positive rating, if you wish so of course.

Thank you very much.

Regards.