Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a bmw 330d auto e93 2010 recently when i drive on

Customer Question

Hi i have a bmw 330d auto e93 2010 recently when i drive on motorway in sport on normal drive the transmission slips nd i loose gears. After switching on and off fault clears. Usually happens when i am doing 70 upwards and put my foot down. The engine has been remapped and my freind plugged in the laptop and believes there is too much torque causing it to slip. If i do not put my foot down and slowly pick up the speed it seems to be fine. Gbox oil and filter has been changed. Milleage is on 89000. Thank you
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

hello

can you tell me how much torque has been increased by? - is it possible to revert the car back to standard to see if this helps your issue?

also do you know what fluid type is in the gearbox at the moment? and can you tell me if the fluid level was checked with it warm? as the level needs to be set with the fluid at 50 degrees C

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The problem did occur before i changed the gbox oil hence why i changed it. I would have to ask my local mechanic who carried out the job. I will have to get the car put on the dyno to find out how much torque it now has. What step would you reccomend i do first? Can bmw reset the ecu to original performance? Thanks
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

hello

as a 1st thing to check is what type of fluid has been used and was the level checked with the fluid warm?

as my 1st reaction is that either its the wrong fluid or there's not enough fluid in it

as if its the ZF 6HP unit then it needs Shell M1375,4 fluid BMW PN 83 220 142 516

whereas the GM transmission uses Dexron IV

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you