Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40CX520 (an Australian version, no

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40CX520 (an Australian version, no SCART connections)

I have had a wireless headphone set connected to this TV so that I can use the headphones and my wife can still hear the TV.

To do this I have had the aerial input going to an Australian set-top box. I use the STB to tune the TV. The output from the STB is by RCA cables which I feed into the RCA input sockets on the TV.

I have piggy-back plugs for the audio RCA jacks at the TV and take the 2 piggy-back feeds and plug them into a 2 into 1 female to female RCA jack connector that takes the 2 audio feeds and lets me hook up the single RCA feed to the base station for the wireless headphones.

This has worked well, but now the STB is failing and I need to review this setup. Hopefully there is a more sophisticated way to do this. I would like to use the tuner in the Bravia if that is possible.

If I must use the existing system I need to be able to source a STB with RCA sockets.

Anyone have any ideas?
Hello, my name isXXXXX'll be happy to assist you,
Please allow me to ask you a few questions about your TV so that we can troubleshoot the issue.

- Can you please check Audio Out jack at back or side of TV, it would look like headphone jack for 3.5mm pin.
- OR can you please upload/ provide pictures of side panel and rear inputs?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

There is an audio out jack. The problem is that if I connect my headphone base to this jack it cuts off the audio from the TV and my wife cannot hear the TV.

I wish it were that simple.

Thanks Peter for the reply.

- Is that only jack for Audio Output or another similar one available that doesn't cut off TV speakers?
- Also, does TV has digital optical audio out port?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

There does not appear to be any other audio jack.

I'm not sur what a digital optical audio out port is. I've attached pics of rear of TV.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Just checked manual.

There appears to be a digital optical audio output (two channel linear PCM, Dolby Digital) whatever that means.

Peter

Thank you Peter for pictures.

Please check following picture where I marked digital audio out port that I was asking and I also notice another 3.5mm jack that could be Audio Out to connect headphone base pin and post back, do you get TV sound in headphone now without cutting off TV speakers?

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Shahid,

When I connect to this socket it does not shut off the sound to the tv, but I can get no audio through the headphones.

Thanks for the info.

Can you please check symbol embossed under that jack and let me know is the arrow going inside circle or arrow going outside?
If arrow is inward then it is input jack and if arrow is outward then it should send out audio signal to wireless headphone base to get it in headset.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It is an input jack, arrow going into circle

ah OK, thanks for the info.

Now we have one option to use digital optical audio output on TV to connect wireless headphone with help of digital to analog audio converter box that will convert digtial sound into analog format.
Digtial optical audio out port will be connected through optical wire that goes in digital to analog audio converter box and analog audio will be available on RCA red-white jacks on that box to connect wireless headphone base.
Please click this link to view digital to analog audio converter box and price info and this link shows digital optical wire that needs to connect in TV and converter box.

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Shahid,

Thank you. I will purchase the gear. Can I contact you if I have trouble with the setup, or do I have to make another payment?

Peter

Hi Peter,

You can always post follow up question in this thread and rating the answer wont close it nor you need to pay again.

Please post back how it worked.

Good luck!

Shahid.