How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aric Your Own Question
Aric, Technician
Category: TV
Satisfied Customers: 46360
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
Type Your TV Question Here...
Aric is online now

I have a Samsung 50 inch Flat screen TV model number PS50Q97HDX/XEU. The

This answer was rated:

I have a Samsung 50 inch Flat screen TV model number PS50Q97HDX/XEU.
The sound is quite poor and needs to be cranked up and the clarity seems impaired. I did have a small set of Harman Kardon speakers attached which was a brilliant improvement. However, the house was hit by lightening and now the speakers are blown but I suspect something in the TV has gone also. I have tried attaching another set of speakers which I know work but they just buzz when plugged in to the socket.
Has something blown and can this be fixed.?
Hello and sorry you're having problems.
If another set of speakers plugged into the TV does not work, since the HK speakers have blown, then this indicates that the lightning strike impacted the audio processing on what is called the "Mainboard" in your TV, This is the board that routes all external AV signals, and also contains the audio processing and amplifier. Given the lightning was the catalyst for this no longer working, this indicates the Mainboard needs to be replaced (since shops do not typically repair these boards on a component level- it is simply swapping out the offending board). This is a viable repair, and average cost for this repair on your set is in the $300-$350 range and can be performed by any competent TV repair shop. I would suggest either Googling, or using your local phone book to locate the closest shop in your area.
If you need further assistance let me know and once satisfied please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING so that I am credited.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help. I am not sure if it is worth it given the age of the Tv and the fact that the original sound was not terrific, but I will make enquiries and hope it can be done as cheaply as possible. Thank you

You're welcome and sorry there's not a quick fix. The noise and symptoms do indicate a Mainboard failure however. If you need further assistance let me know and once satisfied please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING so that I am credited.
Aric and 2 other TV Specialists are ready to help you
Hello; I just wanted to follow up and see if you received all of the information you needed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thanks. I realise that I just have to bite the bullet and get a TV engineer out but I am not keen on the bill. I did test the Harman Kardon speakers I used with the TV on my lap top and they are actually okay which isolates the problem to the TV. One always hopes for a tweak or simple bust fuse as a remedy but it looks like some financial outlay is needed to make the sound improvements unless you know of the possibility of buying the component part and perhaps doing it myself. Maybe a bit ambitious!

Thanks aric

Yes you can do this yourself, you need to locate the Main board (AV board) for the TV. I don't have a source for the part as I am in the U.S., but if you can inquire as to purchasing the MainboMain board through a localTV repair shop it is a plug and play board - meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. To locate the part number remove all of the screws on the back of the TV, pull off the rear panel and located the part number stamped on the board that houses all of the RCA and HDMI jacks. This is the Main board in your set.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been looking on Ebay and there seem to be a variety of Mainboards available apparently for this set . Some say AV board ( is it the same thing?) and the prices vary. I think my best bet is to get the part number to be sure. I don't know how confident I am about taking the back off perchance I damage something. I guess, however, it is second nature to an engineer like yourself.


You would pull the part number off of the board in your set to match it up.