How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nathan Your Own Question
Nathan, Installer
Category: TV
Satisfied Customers: 42184
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
Type Your TV Question Here...
Nathan is online now

I want to hang the tv on the wall so I will need a power

This answer was rated:

I want to hang the tv on the wall so I will need a power socket, a co-ax aerial socket and an ethernet socket, all on the wall behind the tv. What is the accepted design to get the line from the router (sitting on the window-ledge) to a wall socket behind the tv?

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Hello John,

there are a few options for this, depending on the look you are going for and budget.

You can simply route extension type cords along the baseboard and tack in place with a nail/staple, or run along/up the wall and cover behind a plastic cord cover (which you can paint to match the wall) or you can actually cut into the drywall/plaster and run the cabling through the wall space, terminating in a wall plate (coax, network, and power outlet) though that is usually left to a professional, it is possible to do some of this yourself. If you can tell me more about what you are going for I can give more details.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not trouble, just no experience, I can do the power and the co-ax but I'm not sure about the ethernet cable fom the router to the tv. Should I just buy a wi-fi tv?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, Nathan. Just wanted to make sure that the obvious way was the right way! Thanks for your help.

Most all tvs are wifi capable to begin with,

so that is an option, but you can use wired as well. It is easiest to just purchase a premade ethernet cable and route that along the floor (or through the wall), then you can just pull it out of the wall behind the tv and plug, or you can terminate it to a jack inside the wall, I'll get you parts info here,

A standard "keystone" type wall plate: will take a coupler like this:

Nathan and other TV Specialists are ready to help you