info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

After a power cut the TV simply wont turn on- checked and

after a power cut the TV simply wont turn on- checked and tried various spare fuses and power socket -all ok, tried leaving it off and unplugged for 48 hours to drain capacitors etc and also tried holding the on button in for 60 secs etc as some forums sugeested- still not working so now off the wall and on the floor in readiness for me to test or view some obvious card issues- any ideas please ??
Assistant: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: panasonic TX-P50X50 B is the model and no- no previous history with this one however we had the blinking led issue on another panasonic and through forums finally mananged to get that one working- this on is being a little more stubborn
Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: nothing works- not even a standby LED
Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: power cut 3 days ago- this appears to have been the problem since
Assistant: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope

Welcome

Sorry you are having problems here I am currently reviewing your question be with you in a min

Anthony

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok no probs

Is there any power-light lit or blinking please on the front of the set?

Anthony

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nope- appears completely dead

In every case where their is no power light lit and you are sure their is power reaching the set you have bypassed any surge limiter you are using and gone right to the wall, also moved the set to another socket, the back of the set will need to come off (set unplugged from the wall)and some checks carried out using a meter (volt\amps\resistance)this is just to verify if the powerboard is bad, are you able to do that yourself?if so please let me know I will provide more details, the most likely suspect as it stands now is the powerboard itself.

Please let me know if you can do work or need more info

Sorry it is nothing easier, just to clarify the board is a plug in board no soldering.

Please at this point could you rate the answer positively with the rating bar of stars at the top of the page,(3 to 5 stars) rating me positively enables me to receive payment from the site thank you, ***** ***** question is open for 30 days

Many Thanks

Anthony

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i can do that Anthony- it is off the wall and face down on the floor currently but not plugged in and the back has not been unscrewed as yet but i am happy to try this and have a voltmeter if needed

OK good, I am assuming you are not hearing any clicks from the set, if that is the case the first thing to check is the sets own internal fuse this will be mounted near where the power-cord enters the power-board, you need to set the meter to ohms (or buzzer continuity) and with the set disconnected from the mains measure on ohms across the fuse what reading do you get on the meter please?

If you do not understand please send me a photo first of the complete inside of the set then one of the power-board I will send it back marked

Please also send me the model number of the set fond on the back of the set

You can send a photo there will be a paperclip or similar your end to send it directly here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
im not hearing any clicks and so to progress your next steps do i have to take the back of the set cover off ? sounds like it

Oh yes of course the back of the set will need to come off

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok give me 5 mins to do that and i;ll come back to you

There is no rush and no time limit take your tie, there may however be gaps in replies as I deal with others

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok back off- photos attached and voltmeter test across TV fuse made the numbers jump from a base of 1 to a variety minus numbers settling at 000
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
effectively mimicking the volt meters probs when held together

OK fuse is good set the meter to AC black lead to metal chassis red led to the fuse do you have 220vac on the fuse either side?plug into mains now

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
plugged in and checked as described- no voltage either side of the internal fuse

You see the powercord its unpluggable yes?so you see the two bottom slots left and right of the cord itself put red and black in there (lead on its own) and switch on power meter set to ac are you reading 220vac?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yep testing power cable from wall to terminals as you say and yes i get 222v so the plug fuse is ok as is the cable- feels like the silver box unit the power leads plugs into the TV ??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
then also re-checked black to the chassis and red either side of the fuse- no output

You see the bottom left plug on the power-board the one that plugs into the mainboard (one with all AV inputs on) set the meter to dc and go to each pin of the plug looking for a 5v DC let me know if you find that or not

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry im not an electrical expert however i have put my tester to measure against 20DC but im not sure what probe goes where or is it just the red probe i use ??

Yes 20vdc is good red probe to each metal contact of the pin black lead to metal chassis of the set

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i assume you mean check each of these pins ? as per photo

Yes that plug try to touch with the red probe each piece of metal individually you are looking for a 5VDC reading if you do not get it that is fine this will lead to diagnosis

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok completed several times- some minor trace changes but nothing that came anywhere near to telling 5.00DC

Red lead to each pin black lead to metal chassis so any of the solid metal the boards are attached to

Power-board is bad

Can you please get me the full model number of the set found on the back of the set?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
panasonic TX-P50X50B

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-POWER-SUPPLY-BOARD-TXP50X50B-N0AE6JK00006-B159-201-B159-204-/192164971921?hash=item2cbdecc591%3Ag%3A0nYAAOSwdGFYxCSt <<clikc

I can only find one for £100 above but have a search yourself I have seen the board for £30, use the part-numbers found on the board itself to search, it can be time consuming but yu may find the board a lot cheaper

Please before you go remember to rate me 3 to 5 stars with the rating bar of stars at the top of the page thank you (scroll up) this allows the site to release a payment to me thanks again not the question remains open for 30 days so bookmark this page

Anthony

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ive just seen previous problems customers have had and your responses Anthony- seems a common problem but as this set is at least 5 years old i think i'll just put the back on and buy a new one- thanks for your help 5 stars will be marked as

Yes its why the board must be obtained more cheaply and yes I understand your thinking

Many Thanks

Anthony