info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

Hope you can help with the following. I'm looking to buy a

HiHope you can help with the following. I'm looking to buy a 40 inch TV but I only want one that connects to a Sky box and not a Smart TV, I don't want it to connect to the internet because I use my laptop for that. Please can you advise on some good quality TVs to buy with this spec?Many thanksChris

Welcome

Chris I doubt you can even get a TV now that is not a smart TV at that size, the set does ideally need to be connected to the internet so it can automatically download system software updates however it will NOT affect your laptop which will be sharing the TV router connection

Let me know what you think at this stage

Anthony

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks and sorry this is me being a bit dumb but would I need to connect it to the internet or can I just connect it to the Sky box with the USB cable?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
PS I use a plug in dongle for the laptop.

Yes you can just plug it directly into the sky box using HDMI and everything will be fine ,however at some point along the line it could be weeks or months the set WILL need to connect to the internet to upgrade its firmware, you can do this manually too at the manuf website using a flash card but its a bit of a pain to do far better letting the set do itself, but if you are computer handy then you should not have any issues upgrading from a flash drive, stick with known good brands of set like Sony\Toshiba\Samsung

Let me know if you need more help

A positive rating at this point is welcome 3 to 5 stars with the rating bar of stars at the top of the page thank you,the site will then release a payment to me thanks again,note question remains open for 30 days
Anthony

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK thanks. So just so I can be clear, I can use the TV plugged into the Sky box and I don't need it connected to the internet all the time? When the set needs an upgrade I can do this by plugging in the dongle? Thanks

The set will work from the GO ,you can connect it up to the sky box using hdmi all will be well, now like a computer the set needs to upgrade itself if it was constantly connected to the internet it will do this automatically however because you do not have an internet connection or can't share that dongles connection (you should be able to!)you will have to do it MANUALLY that is download the upgrade to your laptop and send it to a usb or sd flash drive this then goes into the service port on the TV, as I said earlier if you are not computer savvy forget it you somehow will need to share the dongles internet connection for about an hour a month so the set can get all its updates

Depending on what TV you get it may be possible to connect the dongle directly to it yes

Let me know if you are unsure on anything here

Anthony