info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

My plasma Panasonic TV won't switch on I have a red standby

Hi Pearl, my plasma Panasonic TV won't switch on I have a red standby light on the front of the TV which when I point the remote at it, the red light flickers a few times I here a click at the back of the tv and the tv comes on, I noticed this morning that the tv was making the clicking noise before I have tried to switch on the tv, tried the remote and it just makes the standby light flicker but nothing is happening but the intermittent clicking?
Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Panasonic? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: TX-P42GT20B nearly 7 years
Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: No
Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just this morning
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the TV Technician should know?
Customer: Its just continues to make the clicking noise like it does when I switch it on with the remote.

Welcome

Sorry you are having issues here, is the power-light blinking red in the front of the set please?

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No light is on permanent

OK usually what happens is the light blinks try holding the on/off switch on the set itself

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Tried that the tv making a clicking noise constantly like its starting up then shutting down

The reason for that is the set may then go into its fault mode as the blinking light is helpful for diagnosis

The way it is the set is not reporting a fault but is stuck in standby however as you are hearing clicking I believe you have either a power-board or scan board issue with the set

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The standby light is on all the time

In a nutshell it will need to be assessed what board is required to get the set working again by makingvoltage checks but there will be cost in this and that cost could go over $250 and for a plasma set of this age it may not be a good idea to put that amount into repairs

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The light flickers when I try the remote

I am sorry this is not something easier I am trying to give you the best advice and the way I see it you would probably be better off replacing the set if you disagree I will help you with repairs but please bear in ind this could cost $250 plus PLEASE READ MY REPLIES ABOVE

If you need a tech www.tvrepairpros.com will locate a tech in your area

A positive rating at this point is welcome 3 to 5 stars with the rating bar of stars at the top of the page thank you,the site will then release a payment to me thanks again,note question remains open for 30 days
Anthony

7 years is 2 years past the sets life envelope so its for that reason we are careful with cash repair input if the set would have been 3 or 4 years then it may have been a good option for repair

Need any more help here please?