Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Have Panasonic combo which is showing A1. Can’t get channel

Have Panasonic combo which is showing A1. Can’t get channel list. I have left power off for a couple of hours. All connections are all right.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Could you tell me the model number of your panasonic please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
DMR EX98VEBK
serial number VR9DB001544

Thank you for the information,

Are you able to play back recordings or discs still?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
both are fine

Thanks for confirming,

please press and hold the Power button on the front for 10 seconds and let me know if the same error still shows.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No just turned off with ‘bye’

Okay now that it is off, press and hold 10 seconds again

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just shut down again

Thank you for checking

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty control/tuner board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This unit is at double its service life at this point.
There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.
If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.
This is something that would require repairs to correct; though repairs for these units just isn't feasible. There are no parts available for them any longer and labor alone would be 2-3 times the cost of a new system.
I can help you with finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.
My apologies for the news,

Nathan

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** try your instructions, but as you say the unit is old but I find it very useful. Would like another unit but have not found any. If you know of any I would be grateful if you could let me know.Will try your above instructions tomorrow.Many thanks

Honestly there really are not any. Optical technology is now considered obsolete and all vhs manufacturing stopped about 5 years ago.

You can certainly buy a new PVR (hard drive based recorder) though, and a separate dvd player,

but to get one that records to dvd you'd be looking at buying an old/used model.

Here is a replacement (hdd only) model I'd suggest: http://amzn.to/2HerXy5

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Already got one of those.Thanks again

You're very welcome, and my apologies again fro the news.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have found a company near me who are going to have a look at the machine, they said it may be a faulty capacitor, it’s worth a try.Thanks
You’re very welcome and best of luck to you!