Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician
Experience:  USAF trained; currently teaching electronics for the DoD.
42300671

I believe I have a fault on my Panasonic tv Assistant: Just

Customer Question

Hi I believe I have a fault on my Panasonic tv
Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Panasonic? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Tx-48AX630B and 3 years
Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: the tv wont turn on with red flashing lights
Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: as normal just tried to turn it on
Assistant: Is there anything else the TV Technician should be aware of?
Customer: not that I know of
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan T. replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan. That red light should be flashing in a pattern. Can you see if you can count how many times it blinks in between the pauses?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1 blink every 5 secondsish
Expert:  Dan T. replied 6 months ago.

OK, please disconnect everything from the back of the TV. Everything, including the power cord. Now wait 5 minutes, and reconnect only the power cord. Press the power button once, and tell me what happens.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have had the tv off for 36hrs with nothing connected and then plugged power back in it still does exactly the same thing
Expert:  Dan T. replied 6 months ago.

OK thanks for checking. That confirms that the TV definitely has an internal failure that would need to be repaired. Would you like some assistance in fixing it yourself?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What would be involved to repair it myself?
Expert:  Dan T. replied 6 months ago.

It wouldn't be terribly difficult. The diagnosis is a defective main PCB inside the TV, so you would need to replace it. There aren't any fancy tools required, and no soldering. Just plug and play so to speak. The toughest part is removing the TV's rear panel to expose the circuit boards. Even that part isn't all that bad. Just a lot of screws.

Let me know if you want to proceed with that and I'll send you some more info...

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Could you tell me the part number needed?
Expert:  Dan T. replied 6 months ago.

here were actually a couple different versions used in these models. I could give you a list of part numbers but nothing would be more accurate than opening the TV and getting the part number from the board itself. It's actually a lot easier than it sounds.

Here's how to get the part number:

1-Disconnect the TV power cord, and let the TV sit for 5 minutes.

2-Cover a sturdy table with a blanket,and lay the TV face down.

3-Remove all of the screws from the TV's rear panel (keep them in a bowl!).

4-Remove the TV's pedestal stand, and the rear panel. This should expose the circuit boards.

5-The main board is easy to find. It will be the one with the audio/video connectors on it. The part number is ***** on the board itself.

When you get that part number, search it in Google and purchase a replacement from whoever you like. A local servicer may also be able to order it for you. Once you have it, here's how to replace it:

1-Disconnect the wiring going to the board. It's just clips/harnesses, no soldering or anything like that.

2-Remove the screws that hold the board in place, then remove the board.

3-Reverse that procedure to install the new board.

I really hope that answers your question! Let me know if you need anything else. Oh, and please take a second to rate the service I provided (there should be a 5-star scale on your page somewhere). Don't worry, that won't close your question and you can still respond back at any time.