carlday1
carlday1, Technician
Experience:  Self Employed TV Engineer
69505510

I HAVE A GRUNDIG GU19WDVDPCX TV. Assistant: What's the brand

Customer Question

I HAVE A GRUNDIG GU19WDVDPCX TV.
Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: I JUST GAVE YOU THAT............ DID N'T I.?
Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: THE TV WORKS FINE BUT YESTERDAY THE MENU PANEL CAME UP ON TOP OF THE MAIN PICTURE AND WAS FLASHING. I PRESSED EXIT AND THE STATION LIST CAME UP. WHEN I PRESSED EXIT FOR THAT THE MENU PANEL CAME BACK ON....FLASHING.. ON AND OFF CONSTANTLY. THIS PROCESS REPEATS AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF IT. THE TV CHANNELS ALL WORK AS THIS HAPPENS.
Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this?
Customer: SINCE YESTERDAY. MY WIFE SWITCHED THE SET ON AND THIS CAME UP.
Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO. IT'S ALL BEEN FINE.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 27 days ago.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Please continue the search. As long as I have an answer by Tuesday 25th. September. If not I shall assume that you cannot help me.
Martyn.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 27 days ago.

Hi Martyn,

My name is ***** ***** I will help with your question. Could you check the buttons on the TV and make sure none are stuck down I would suggest pressing them all one by one to check the feel ok.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
They feel O.K.
Each one clicks poitively.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 27 days ago.

Thank you. My first thought were that maybe a button had become stuck a little and was causing the fault. Does the menu appear all the time can you get rid of it using the remote control?

It could be caused by faulty software/main board inside the TV or a faulty button board inside TV.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Imagine that the T.V. channels all work but no matter which channel is on the Menu panel is always in front of it unless I press O.K. At that point the Menu panel goes off but the Program list panel comes on. Exit brings the Menu panel back on. The menu panel always flashes when on. The program list panel does not flash.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 27 days ago.

Have you tried unplugging the set from the wall for a few minutes? This will reset the firmware inside the TV and if your fault is caused by a software issue this may clear it.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Tried that.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 27 days ago.

Ok That leads me to think it is a hardware fault with the small board that has the buttons on or the main board that controls the TV.

Would you be looking at repairing the TV yourself or would you prefer for me to suggest a local engineer who could take a look at it.

A local engineer may be able to fix the set for around £50 I have had a quick look online and new 19 inch tv with DVD are around £100

Expert:  carlday1 replied 21 days ago.

Have you managed to resolve your issue, or do you need more help.

If you are happy with my service, please could you provide a rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.