Steven
Steven, Technician
Experience:  Lic. and insured, 30 years experience.
59014109

Getting a lot of interfering flickering & distorted sound on

Customer Question

getting a lot of interfering flickering & distorted sound on 2010 DV7 TV . Please recommend service engineer in Cambridge area uk
JA: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your DV7?
Customer: Sorry no idea
JA: What have you tried so far with your DV7? Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I have no idea how to do that .I am 80 years old & just need an engineer !
JA: The Laptop Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need a tv expert not a computer person !
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

What is the brand and model number of the tv?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a Toshiba DV7 tv purchased 2010 ; I cannot read the model no. All I need is a local engineer !
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I could certainly try to help you find an engineer locally, but honestly it is simply not worth pursuing.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2010 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This set is over double its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor, all for no significant extension to the life of the tv. You may get a few more months out of it, but other parts will continue to fail and need more and more investment. It would not be expected to last years+

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $300 range, for a typical 42 inch tv.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Nathan