Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

We are unable to select wireless network as it does not

Customer Question

Hi, we are unable to select wireless network as it does not appear on network type options anymore. Please help
Assistant: What device are you trying to connect?
Customer: This is Hitachi smart TV 42inch and we are trying to connect it to our WiFi
Assistant: Are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?
Customer: No as TV is on second floor and WiFi thing on first floor
Assistant: Which lights are colored and/or blinking on your router?
Customer: Router is 100% working on all devices in the house apart this TV. And before it worked just fine.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only how to get wireless set up.thank you
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

What is the Model number of the tv?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
43hk25t74u
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, forgot to say my name is Svetlana.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

does the tv "see" any wifi networks at all (neighbors)?
Is this your first time setting up the tv?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TV was working with WiFi before. One day something happened and was all gone. The option for wireless network on network type is gone. We can only see wired device and disable
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming,

this would indicate an internal hardware defect, meaning the internal wifi adapter has failed. This is a very common problem on these tvs.

The one thing you can try is going into the setup menu and choosing the factory reset option from there,

after it resets, it will prompt you to reconnect to the network and you can try again

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where can I exactly find set up menu ? Is it on first time installation?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Yes exactly, that first time install is essentially a factory reset

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried that 4 times already no luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about privacy settings, do they all need to be selected?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trying,

that does confirm a bad wifi adapter internally then.

This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2016 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

There is no quick or simple fix for this and the cost of repairs would be more than buying a new tv from a better quality brand.

As an alternative, you could keep using it as-is, and supplement the tv with an external streaming device like a firestick: https://amzn.to/2W9s6Om

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mac:7054b41e9f96 if we would contact Hitachi would they cover the fix cost?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I doubt you'd be able to actually reach them in the first place, but even you could no they would cover nothing. The tv truly is significantly past its service life and it is a wonder it works at all. They barely provide service under the initial 1 year warranty and would do nothing outside of warranty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome, and my apologies for the news.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by clicking the 5 stars at the top of the screen to conclude our conversation. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan