info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

My television keeps turning itself off and on. I have

My television keeps turning itself off and on. I have attempted to turn it off using the power button but it keeps turning itself on again. The only way to turn the device off is at the power point. Can you help.
JA: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: It is a Samsung series 5 and is about 7 years old.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The menu comes up on the screen but the set shuts down before you have the chance to do anything.
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
WelcomeI am sorry you are having trouble here would it be possible for you to get me the model number of the set please found on the back of the set? Also let me know the approx age of the set please?
Anthony
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The TV set is about 7 years old. The model code is UE40D5520RKXXU and the serial no. is Z8K23SHBA00544J.

You need to RESET the TV to factory default in the settings menu using the TV own remote control menu, if that does NOT work then consideration will be taken to replace the main-board,let me know how the reset works out

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I turned the TV off at the power point and left it off for 2 hours and when I turned it back on the fault had corrected itself. I will retain your advice about resetting to factory default should it occur again. Thank you.

OK good work any issues let me know here thank you

Please I would be grateful if you could you rate the answer/info positively (hopefully 5 stars) with the rating bar of stars at the top of the page, rating me positively enables me to receive payment from the site thank you, ***** ***** question is open for 30 days

Many Thanks

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The TV will not turn on at all now so I am unable to use the RESET facility. If the TV is irreparable I need to know so I can purchase a new one. Thanks.

You have a one or two option of options

1)Replace the main-board yourself cost of main-board around $100 (not to everyone's comfort zone though)

2)Hire a tech to do this cost $250_$350 (not an option for a set of this age)

3)Replace the set

So given the age of the set (its exceeded its life expectancy)it may be a better option to just replace it.

Make sure you stick with major brands like samsung/lg/sony and always get extended warranty