info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

I have a Panasonic TX-P42S20BA tv that keeps switching

I have a Panasonic TX-P42S20BA tv that keeps switching itself off and on again intermittently. How can the problem be fixed
JA: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: It’s between 5and 6 years old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes the menu works and fails on all sources
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this?
Customer: 2 years. Nothing obvious before it started
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: When you go to switch the tv on initially, there is a clicking near the button almost before you touch it

Welcome

I am sorry you are having trouble here, when it does this does the power-light in the front of the set blink?or go OFF or does it stay the same in the ON mode?

Anthony

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It’s difficult to remember but I think the green light flashes, turns red, that flashes, then turns green again and the tv starts up again

Those RED blinks will be a code like 3 blinks pause 3 blinks can you let me know how many blinks please (only of the red blinks)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It may take some time as the tv doesn’t do it all the time. I’ll be in touch in a few days

OK

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The tv has just turned off and on again. Sorry there wasn’t a red light just the green light flashing continuously until the tv came back on.

OK standby

If the light is not blinking RED then its not reporting an error with itself so there are two scenarios this could be,

1)An interruption to the AC power for the set please try ANOTHER socket even if you think the one you are using is good

2)The main-board is shutting down intermittently, this may need to be replaced, if there is a RESET to factory default in the settings menu of the TV please try that first (it may not have this option but if it does)

Anything else is reported as an error so the set will blink a code of RED blinks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for the advice. I’ll try one then the other.

OK if you need more help with it let me know

Anthony