Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My tv is showing white lines and green lines on the side i

Customer Question

My tv is showing white lines and green lines on the side i cant see nothing
Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: Model code ue46f6509
Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes
Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this?
Customer: Just for half an hour and before it had green lines on the side but u could see the rest
Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Are these vertical or horizontal lines?

Could you show me a photo of the screen?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They are horizontal white lines and have a green background (cant attach picture)
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the info,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty lcd panel (not repairable) or main/tcon board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This set is past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:

1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds

4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. This is assuming only a board issue, you could easily spend that with no change only to be down to a lcd panel (screen) failure which is not even possible to fix.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Nathan