Richard, Technician
Experience:  TV Engineer
32989067

I have an LG TV monitor ( LG M3201C-BA)hooked up to a Mini

Customer Question

I have an LG TV monitor ( LG M3201C-BA)hooked up to a Mini Mac computer. As of this morning the LG monitor switches to power save and switches off. I have repeated the process of detaching the power sales on the LG and the mini Mac with the same result each time. In short I cannot get the LG to fire up and work as normal.
JA: What LG model do you have? How old is it?
Customer: LG Flatiron M3201C-BA. I do not know the age of the TV.The model number should indicate the likely age of the model.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I only use the TV with an HDMI DVI cable
JA: How long has this been an issue with your LG? What happened right before this?
Customer: The last 4 hours whilst I try and fix it.
JA: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Category: TV
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 17 days ago.

Expert:  Richard replied 17 days ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer, my name is Richard and I look forward to helping you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Shut down your Mac.

Find Command (⌘), Option, P, and R on your keyboard.

Turn on your Mac.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.

Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.

Release the keys.

Then tell me how the monitor now works please

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have done that 3 times and the LG still reverts to power saving mode.
Expert:  Richard replied 17 days ago.

If you connect the monitor to another device, how does it then work?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have held down Option, CMD P and R and the LG still reverts to power save mode. I have done this twice.
Expert:  Richard replied 17 days ago.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No, I have only one computer which is the Mini Mac, a small white box, but I have 4 TVs
Expert:  Richard replied 17 days ago.

Connect the monitor to one of your cable boxes, that connects to your TV

Does it work on this?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am not a techie, but it would appear that the LG is failing when it has to decide on the level of resolution be it 1080P or something else. What is a cable box? what is it attached to? I have a HDMI /DVI slot in the back of the LG and that cable goes into the back of the Mini Mac.
Expert:  Richard replied 17 days ago.

What re your TVs connecting to for a signal?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have plugged the LG into another plug and the LG immediately goes to power saving mode. The contact with Just Anwers comes via my contact with LG support telephone number yesterday. A real pain.
Expert:  Richard replied 17 days ago.

When you say another plug, which plug are you referring to?

As I want to test the LG on a different device, such as the one your Tv connects to for television

This is why I asked.

What are your TVs connecting to for a signal?