Dan
Dan, Broadcast Engineer
Experience:  15 years as a Broadcast/IT Engineer with the local CBS affiliate.
1567601

My elderly parents have a free sat TX-P42S10B model. They

My elderly parents have a free sat TX-P42S10B model. They had a lot of things recorded but then it came up with the words format yesterday, then a second screen said storage, which she said yes to. Now no more programmes are there to watch, can she retrieve them somehow please?
JA: How long have you had your TX-P42S10B?
Customer: bought in 2009
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing at all, just to find recordings as usual
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no apart from the fact I am on the internet and mum is at home with the tv
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't want to pay any more can you call me on a land line? 01787 247775
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
please more info
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
where are you?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today.

My apologies for not being able to contact you by phone. If the drive was formatted, then all programming has been deleted. Since that error message appeared, that is a good indication the hard drive is going to fail and the programs would have most likely been lost regardless. I am sorry to be the one to give you the bad news. You may want to check into either replacing the satellite receiver, or at the least, the hard drive.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are ok so no way of retrieving the recorded progs then. How would they know if it’s the sat receiver or hard drive which has failed? Apparently it did this same thing a while back but mum thought dad had pressed something he shouldn’t have done

That error message is common when a drive is having problems, and considering the age of the receiver, that is most likely what the problem is. A service shop should be able to install a new drive, but you should check with your provider to make sure there is still one available.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I know the shop they bought it from is still there so could they do that for them? So that is the actual box in the lounge? Not a sat receiver you mean needs replacing

The shop will need to have the receiver brought in so they can inspect it. They should be able to replace the hard drive with little problems.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry I’m not at my parents so I’m not sure if you mean a sat dish receiver or just the box sitting by the tv ?

Sorry. The box is what you will need to take to the shop.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank u v much for confirming. My mother would ask me !

My pleasure. Have a nice day!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Very easy to get help this way, personal and concise help given thank you

You are very welcome!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi the free sat box is actually a human not Panasonic. Is that what needs a new hard drive?

Yes. That will need a new drive.