Pete
Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

My mother aged 97 is blind. She has an Alexa but I would

Customer Question

My mother aged 97 is blind. She has an Alexa but I would like to buy her the correct firestick,cube or whatever to enable her to control her tv. She cannot see to use a phone and the remote with the firestick looks very small for her to control. Any advice?
JA: What is the model of your TV?
Customer: I am in Thailand so cannot check. It is a Sony. More than that I can’t tell you. Sorry
JA: What menu options can you access, if any?
Customer: Do you mean me or her? She is in the uK not here.
JA: The TV Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is not much I can tell you! I came from a different standpoint but let’s see where we get! It is for a Christmas present so must get it right. Thanks
Category: TV
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hello is there a technician there?
Expert:  Pete replied 9 days ago.

Hi there, I am Pete and I'll be happy to assist you today.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hello. So what product is best for my mother to voice control her Sony tv. She would not be able to use a mobile phone and the remotes with Alexa products looks unfeasibly small
Expert:  Pete replied 9 days ago.

LG have a 'magic' remote that you can talk to, similar to Alexa.

It is larger than a Fire Stick remote.

That might suit you needs, however you would also need a compatible LG TV.

Currys have some offers on at the moment:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/search-keywords/xx_xx_xx_xx_xx/lg+tv+magic/xx-criteria.html

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
But her tv is a Sony!
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
And I can’t phone as in Thailand working. Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 9 days ago.

Sony don't make a magic remote, so the best option would be a new LG TV if you want to use the magic remote.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
So are you saying that there is no option with Alexa and Sony! She has that combination so I am looking to add something on not have her buy a new tv. Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 8 days ago.

If you want to use the larger LG magic remote, you will need to use it with a LG TV.

Other options are to use the Fire Stick or similar voice systems, however they all have smaller remotes.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 days ago.

You are welcome :)

Have a good weekend!
Pete.