hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Installer
Experience:  I am a certified Cable Television installer in the state of Hawaii
40928634

I just bought a 5.1 Sony speaker setup. using it with

Customer Question

hi there - I just bought a 5.1 Sony speaker setup. using it with Samsung 4k tv - I can't get the ARC dolby digital plus audio to work/ activate?
JA: How old is your 4K?
Customer: 2018 I think...
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: samsung ue49nu7100 tv menu works - problem is just that, no other inputs
JA: How long has this been an issue with your 4K? What happened right before this?
Customer: I've just got the surround sound - didn't need it before
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: just that thank you
Category: TV
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 8 days ago.

Expert:  hongkongpom replied 4 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
I am hongkongpom, an independent support technician based in South Africa, that uses JustAnswer to connect with customers.
Please ignore any popup advertisement offers of "Secure Remote Assistance" or a "telephone call", as they are not sent by me.
Please note that I am only allowed to answer ONE question per session.
Please type in the box below, then click on the "Send" button to send me your reply.

Please activate the ARC or Audio control feature on your surround sound system so that the TV detects the connection. Then you can access the ARC/CEC feature on the TV. Also the ARC only works using HDMI not optical cable thank you

A bonus is much appreciated thank you!
Please contact JustAnswer customer service directly for any billing issues.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thanks for getting back to me! So the HDMI works and can get sound, Ive figured out its when Netflix is on 5.1, it activates Dolby + which then doesn’t play sound? But in the Netflix sound setting when I set it to ‘normal’ it then plays? Could that still be that the Sony surround needs to be told to use Arc?!

ARC is always on when it's activated. So once the TV and sound system have it activated you don't need to keep changing it.
What is more likely happening is the surround sound digital stream is not being understood or not available when using the optical. If normal works then that sounds like when the digital stream is PCM rather than Dolby.
If you have the HDMI then keep using that and disconnect the optical.