info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

I want to start using the freeview which is built into my

Customer Question

I want to start using the freeview which is built into my JVC TV instead of Virgin which I currently use. I have a rooftop aerial and can see cables coming down the front I'd the house but there's no aerial output I can find inside the house to connect it to. What should I do?
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 14 days ago.

Welcome

I am sorry you are having trouble,put simply you need to run the downlead from the aerial into the house?without it you will get no signals, you can if need be add extra lead to what is already there but as its outside you will need to seal it with self-amalgamating tape

Let me know if you need more help

Anthony

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks. I think the cable goes into the wall but I can't see where it comes out. I'm wondering if it has been cut off and plastered over. Is the aerial.cable generally brown?
Expert:  info tech replied 14 days ago.

Yes it is

Expert:  info tech replied 14 days ago.

Yes that is what happens sometimes however if you can find the downlead outside you can use that extended if necessary

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Yes. I've opened them up. O e is just the landline phone. The other contains two cables -.the existing Virgin connection and another one which is not attached to anything but is black on the outside and does not look like an aerial coexial
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
On the outside of the house I can also see a brown one entering
Expert:  info tech replied 14 days ago.

You will need to make sure it IS the aerial lead you see, may need some binoculars to trace it up the roof and to the aerial to make sure its going to it and is intact

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok I think it is. I suppose it might be easier to work outside, extend it and put it back thru the wall rather than digging around in the plaster inside looking for it
Expert:  info tech replied 14 days ago.

Yes may be a good idea please be sure to separate the outer braided core from the inner lead and be sure to use self-amalgamating tape this is like rubber to seal it from the weather

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Will do. Thank you
Expert:  info tech replied 14 days ago.

If you need any more hepl please let me know

Anthony