info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

My Samsung tv has blue lines running down it. Also had blobs

Customer Question

Hi my Samsung tv has blue lines running down it. Also had blobs at the bottom of the screen. I bought it in June 2018 from QVC.
JA: What Samsung model do you have? How old is it?
Customer: 18 months old.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: 50 inch Ultra HD
JA: How long has this been an issue with your Samsung? What happened right before this?
Customer: Nothing at all has happened to it. They just appeared
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: menu works
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 9 days ago.

Welcome

I am sorry you are having trouble it does at this time sound like the LCD panel ITSELF and that unfortunately is about the worst thing that can happen, I do suggest you contact QVC to see what they say, usually a manufacturers warranty is 1 year but please investigate if you have longer.

Try another input like a DVD player or similar just to rubber stamp my suspicions ,if it is the same its as I have described, let me know if you have more questions on this and what you think

Anthony

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
What causes this please? No hard object has hit the screen!
Expert:  info tech replied 9 days ago.

There are many ways the LCD panel can go bad,in your case as you have blobs and lines the polarizers that control the LCD pixels can go bad leaving wrong colour registration, there is no definitive reason wht this happens it just can and does happen, LCD panels by their nature are an gamble on reliability, its why I always advise people to get extended warranty, how much did you pay for the set?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
£688
Expert:  info tech replied 9 days ago.

That is a lot of money for 18mths, please follow the advice above contact QVC, I personally would not transact with this company regarding brown goods like TVs you would be far better dealing with a company like John Lewis's as they offer 2 to 4 years warranty at no extra cost, the warranty with modern TVs is very important because of the failure rate of LCD panels and back-lights, sorry I do not have better news for you here

Expert:  info tech replied 9 days ago.

As a final note please make sure you do not have high magnetic items like speakers near the set as this can cause issues

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok thank you. Samsung have given me the number of a TV repair company. Do you think it’s worth getting then out or am I throwing good money after bad?
Expert:  info tech replied 9 days ago.

Samsung should have offered you better than that.......they will only tell you what I am telling you now, the LCD panel is bad it CANNOT be replaced economically BECAUSE most of the cost of the set is WITH the panel

Expert:  info tech replied 9 days ago.

If this happens with other inputs like a DVD player its as I have said above

Expert:  info tech replied 9 days ago.

By the "panel" I am referring to the screen