Steven
Steven, Technician
Experience:  Lic. and insured, 30 years experience.
59014109

Cannot find channels since free view update tells me no

Customer Question

Cannot find channels since free view update tells me no signal
JA: JustAnswer requires a modest payment. You'll see the amount on the next page. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.
Customer: How much is this?
JA: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: It is a Samsung, don’t know the age . Model no LE19R888DX/XEU type BP19EO
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes the menu works
JA: How long has this been an issue with your LE19R888DX? What happened right before this?
Customer: It has only happened since the Freeview update in our area
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: How much will the charge be?
Category: TV
Expert:  *ElectronicsTech replied 10 days ago.
  • Hi,

My name is Randy, I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I will be glad to assist you with this.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible!

When something's been updated, most Freeview devices will ask you to retune (rescan) for any channel changes. With most devices you'll just have to press 'retune' when prompted. But if your TV doesn't prompt you to do this, you may need to manually start the automatic retune or do a full manual retune. The instructions for both are below. Alternatively, watch our helpful retune videos.

Automatic retune: These may vary slightly depending on which device you have, but they usually include the following simple steps:

1. Press menu on your box or TV remote control
  2. Select ‘set-up’, ‘installation’, ‘update’ or a similar option. If you’re asked for a password, the default code is ‘1234’ or ‘0000’.
  3. Select ‘first-time installation’ (sometimes called ‘factory reset’, ‘full retune’ or ‘default settings’).
  4. Press ‘OK’ if your equipment asks if it's OK to delete existing channels and then your retune should start automatically. If you’re prompted to, save the channels that are found.

Manual retune: If you've already run through the automatic retune options and it still isn't sorted, you can manually search by channel frequencies.

As a first step, check to see if your desired channels are appearing further down the list in the TV Guide (usually the 800s). If they are, make them easier to find by saving them to your ‘favourites’ list.

If you can't find the channels in the 800 range, enter your postcode into our Freeview Checker to find a list of channels available at your address. Once you have these details, please follow the below steps:

1. Using your remote control, press the 'menu' button.
  2. Select the 'set up' or 'installation' option. If you see picture icons, select the tool box, satellite dish or spanner.
  3. Select 'manual retune' or 'manual search'.
  4. If you're prompted for a code, try 0000 or 1234.
  5. When your device asks for a channel number (frequency), type in the number provided in the detailed view of the Freeview checker relating to that channel.
  6. Repeat steps 1-5 using the different numbers next to each group (a group is a bundle of TV services), to complete the manual retune.
  7. Then press 'menu' or 'exit' to finish.

These instructions should work for most Freeview TVs or boxes, but they differ, and you may have to speak to your manufacturer or the retailer you bought your device from for help.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you I will try your suggestions tomorrow.

sounds good.