info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

I have a 65"Sony 4K TV in need of a screen replacement.

Customer Question

Hi there, I have a 65"Sony 4K TV in need of a screen replacement. Model no: KD-65XE9305. it has a crack right in the middle of the screen but the tv is still smooth to touch so the crack is inside, there are also contrast lines going up and across the screen like a thick cross. I was just enquiring to see how much it would be to repair
JA: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?
Customer: yes
JA: Was there a power outage recently?
Customer: no, the remote accidnetally flew out of my 2 year old's hand and hit the middle of the screen
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that will be all, thank you
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 2 months ago.

Welcome

I do sympathise with you with this its actually a very common issue because of the fragility of the screen, but I am afraid the screen makes up two thirds the cost of the set and when you factor in labour costs then it will likely exceed the cost to replace the set as new, so in 95% of cases the panel (screen)is never replaced, if you got the set from Currys or similar and took out an all eventuality's insurance OR you have house contents insurance you should be covered for this?

The only value for the TV after that is the boards inside typically the main-board and power-board which could be sold on ebay or the set sold on ebay as a screen damaged set, an engineer or TV repair man may be interested because of those boards.

I am sorry I do not have better news

Let me know if you need more help,

Anthony