Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Before the 5 year warranty ran out, twice the set was taken

Customer Question

Before the 5 year warranty ran out, twice the set was taken in but the fault not found. It has subsequently occurred 3 times since. The set shuts down for 10 odd minutes when the temperature is excessive as again last week and then comes back on. It appears to over heat.
JA: What are you having trouble accessing or opening?
Customer: The T V loses it`s sound and picture. The red light does show that it is switched off.
JA: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: Panasonic TX39AS6008
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: No, Our T V `s still work.
JA: How long has this been an issue with your TX39AS6008? What happened right before this?
Customer: It first occurred after we had the set for about 4 years. No really hot summers in the meantime.
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: TV
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 3 days ago.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 days ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear. The tv is past its service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Nathan