Dan
Dan, Broadcast Engineer
Experience:  15 years as a Broadcast/IT Engineer with the local CBS affiliate.
1567601

Can I connect my Bravia Sony tv directly to the internet?

Customer Question

JA: What Sony model do you have? How old is it?
Customer: bought 2018 Sony 49xe8005bu 49
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: we can get to settings. When we press action menu picture, sound speakers etc come up as a list
JA: How long has this been an issue with your 49XE8005BU? What happened right before this?
Customer: we had a you view box that over night lost internet connection B t say we need to take out a contract for a new one and start paying! We do pay for broad band but have never paid a bit contract for tv. I’m afraid we are not much into modern tech, we are in our late 70’s 80’s!!!
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don’t think so thank you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 13 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, my name is*****'m sorry to hear you are having problems. I do not offer phone support, so please chat with me here.

Expert:  Dan replied 13 days ago.

Yes you can. Your TV has full wireless (WiFi) capability.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have found a socket for the Ethernet cable I think, and have updated as the message on the screen instructed.
The apps now come up but on htm 1 the tv says we are not connected to the internet. Where an I going wrong?
Expert:  Dan replied 13 days ago.

What do you have connected to HDMI-1?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Dan, Please reply on line. Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 13 days ago.

I did reply. My question is, what do you have connected to HDMI-1?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Oh sorry didn’t see that. HDM1 is the channel we are on. HDM2 is for DVD. 1 was always for TV
Expert:  Dan replied 13 days ago.

What device do you have connected to HDMI-1?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Dan, sorry not to have got back. I cannot see a HDM-1 socket only 2 &3 on the left hand side /rear of tv. DVD cable in 2. 3 is empty.
Expert:  Dan replied 12 days ago.

HDMI-1 would only be active if you had some device connected to it. In other words, it shouldn't give you the option to select it if there is nothing plugged into it.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok but why can I not get television stations without a youview box? I thought it was a smart tv and could get basic channels! Exasperated.☹️
Expert:  Dan replied 12 days ago.

If your TV has the built in Youview receiver, then all you should need to do is retune or autoscan to receive those channels.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you. Problem sorted...
Expert:  Dan replied 11 days ago.

You're welcome