Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I turn on the. Tv and my remote doesn’t work, I’ve changed

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I turn on the. Tv and my remote doesn’t work
JA: What's the brand and model of your appliance? How old is it?
Customer: I’ve changed the batteries taken every lead off, pushed the button underneath nothing.
JA: How long has this been going on? What have you tried so far?
Customer: about 2-3 years
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: yes the bar at the top doesn’t show like what channel it is on
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The tv is 2-3 years old. I have a picture but cannot change channels. Changed batteries but the remote doesn’t work
Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.

A few quick questions to help me best help you:

What is the complete Model Number? (you will find this info on a sticker on the back of the tv)

What are you watching when this happens? (Antenna, cable/satellite box, basic coax cable feed, streaming service, etc)

Which remote are you using?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hold on a couple of minutes please

Sure

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry can’t find the model number but the remote is EN2BO27H

That looks like it is for a hisense tv.

The model info would be on the back of the tv, an example would be 

H50B7100

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
But the tv is stuck on 1 channel
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I can’t find the sticker

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
it’s on antenna
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
But we have a firestick

The firestick remote wouldn't be involved with those channels. If you're using an aerial and the remote won't respond, or the onboard buttons, this would indicate a hardware issue.

Does the tv turn on/off still with the remote and the onboard buttons?
Can you still change the input over to the firestick and use that?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The tv turns on with the remote and nothing else. And no we cannot use the firestick as the remote is not working with the tv

Thank you for checking,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or so at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor, all for no significant extension to the life of the tv. You may get a few more months out of it, but other parts will continue to fail and need more and more investment. It would not be expected to last years+

Beyond the warranty however, replacement will usually make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $300 range for a typical 50 inch tv

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Nathan

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Do you think a new remote will work

Not likely to make any difference, no. If it won't respond to the onboard controls, which should change the input at a minimum to let you use the firestick, that is an internal failure.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Or calling a technician? If you can recommend one?

Please see the reset process and diagnostic information I sent earlier.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry missed that
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok Nathan thanks for the information

You're very welcome, and best of luck to you!

If replacing, I recommend sticking to LG, Panasonic, and Samsung, which tend to be the most reliable and longest lasting for example: https://amzn.to/31dNAM5

The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates, are short lived, and are poorly supported.

Nathan

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks Nathan I wish I knew that before I purchased the damn thing !!

You're very welcome, and my apologies again for the news

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No worries all the best

Thanks you too