How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 20397
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now

I have been recommended for bladder stretching. I am worried

Customer Question

I have been recommended for bladder stretching. I am worried as I don't know what this involves. It involves General anaesthetic. After a cystoscopy the doctor said my bladder opening was narrowing. I consulted him as I have trouble emptying my bladder. The scan results were negative.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

Are you male or female?

How old are you?

Did they diagnose you with interstitial cystitis?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.




Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 4 years ago.
If they are trying to stretch your bladder, this may be because they think you have a condition called interstitial cystitis where the lining of the bladder is abnormal. This can lead to urinary urgency and frequency as well as pain. This involves placing a camera in the bladder while you are sleep and then stretching it up to maximum capacity. It will then look for specific changes in the way that could be consistent with this problem. The stretching can also help to stop the pain and urinary urgency. It won't help with problems in emptying the bladder. To help determine what the underlying cause of incomplete bladder emptying is coming you may need a test called urodynamics which is like an EKG for your bladder. You should discuss these options with your urologist. Hope this helps.