How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 20397
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now

67 Year old male, currently having 3 monthly PSA blood tests

This answer was rated:

67 Year old male, currently having 3 monthly PSA blood tests to monitor a slightly oversized prostate. (reading 5.3 average over 3 tests)

I saw my GP yesterday regarding this matter and I told her that I had noticed my semen is now clear and watery and much reduced in volume and queried if this was related to my problem? While she agreed that it may be due to the prostate not producing its component to the semen she wasn't aware if it is a symptom of a problem or just a natural deterioration with age.

I wonder if you might add some further information regarding this matter?

Many thanks,

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

Are you on any medications for your prostate?

Do you have any urinary symptoms like burning or urgency or frequency?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr. Y,


I am not on any medication for my prostate but am on Beta Blockers for an SVT condition.


The only urinary symptoms are an occasional difficulty in urinating and generally get up about twice a night to urinate. Otherwise pretty normal.





Clear and watery semen could be due to a couple things. The first could be low testosterone levels which is the most likely reason at your age. Your doctor may want to consider checking your testosterone levels to see if they need to be replaced.

The second possible cause is a prostate infection called prostatitis. This can make your semen turn watery with low-volume as well. Typically, you would have urinary symptoms like burning or pain behind the scrotum with this. To evaluate for this, your doctor should do a prostate exam and a urine culture. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.
Dr. Y. and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you