How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 20397
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now

I have an undiagnosed bladder problem. I have had a CAT scan

This answer was rated:

I have an undiagnosed bladder problem. I have had a CAT scan which was clear, and the problem has got a lot better lately. However, I did some squats with weights at the gym yesterday, and today the urge to urinate frequently is back, but not as bad as it was . Could there be a connection?
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
How long have you had the symptoms?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I started with the symptoms in May. I can hold my urine, the bladder doesn't seem to be weak in that way. I had the sensation of wanting to wee all the time. Some days were worse than others. I had no pain with it most of the time, but now and again I had a burning sensation, not very strong.

I have had a full hysterectomy about 12 years ago, and I think I did have these same symptoms about 5 years ago, but it only lasted about 1 month.

I have been doing pelvic floor exercises , and been drinking loads of water. I have no idea whether that has helped, but for the last few weeks I have been much better. It was just that when I did weighted squats at the gym the other day, the symptoms came on again, but not as bad.

For the last 2 years I have been doing part time caring, and sometimes that can be a bit heavy, and I wondered if that had any bearing on it.

The doctor wasn't that helpful really.

Your symptoms sound classic for a condition called overactive bladder. This is due to bladder spasms. This can make you feel like you need to urinate all the time. You need to see a doctor who can help treat this. This typically would either be a urologist or a gynecologist. They can put you on a medication such as oxybutynin to help stop this sensation. This is a very common problem in women your age and it is highly treatable with these medications. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you then of the opinion Doctor, that the weights are not relevant. I am happy if that is the case!

Also, I have read about a condition known as Interstitial cystitis, is this also a possibility, or would you rule it out.

I also have a feeling of discomfort when I wee sometimes, not cystitis, but as if the area that you wee from could be inflamed, but I don't have this constantly, do you think this could be connected, or has happened because I was weeing more frequently?

No, the weights have nothing to do with this.
Interstitial cystitis can cause similar symptoms but this is a rare disease. The most common cause would be overactive bladder. The discomfort when you urinate is likely from a bladder spasm from the overactive bladder. This should go away when you start the medication to stop the spasms.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thanks for your help. Its back to the Doctor for the medication!

Yes. That's correct. I wish you the very best!
Dr. Y. and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you