How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 20397
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now

Hi, I have had problems with my bladder and stomach for many

Customer Question

Hi, I have had problems with my bladder and stomach for many years, despite many procedures there is still no answer and I am at my wits end. I have had 2 cystoscopys. The first came back as narrowed uretha but no other issue. The second was done with a laparoscopy and came back clear however the lap highlighted a enlarged angry bowel.
My symptoms are frequent urination, urgency (no leakage), bloating, constipation alternated with diahorea, stomach cramps and bad pain in my bladder after intercourse. For a day after I am in pain with my pelvic area feeling full of pressure and pain, urinating almost every hour after sex. Its a nightmare and no doctor seems able to help.
I also had urodynamics which showed bladder detrusor overactivity. I am only 29! In my late teens a boyfriend gave me chlaymadia, we were both treated but a couple of years ago a blood test showed antibodies in my blood so I was treated again. Could this have anything to do with it?
Please help.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
It is possible that this pain is due to a condition called interstitial cystitis (IC) where the lining of the bladder is abnormal and makes you feel like you have a UTI or bladder pain. You may need to get in to see a urologist for an exam and cystoscopy again to look in the bladder to see if you may have this condition. If you do, then you may be a candidate for a medication called Elmiron to help restore the normal lining of the bladder and stop the pain. Medications such as amytriptyline, cimetidine, hydroxyzine and DMSO can help treat IC symptoms as well. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, after 2 cystocopies showing nothing abnormal inside my bladder I have been told I do not have IC. I have never been offered medication to soothe my bladder just a med for overactive bladder to soothe the spasms.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Well the first place to start would be to put you on a medication like oxybutynin to stop bladder spasms to see if this helps your symptoms. It is possible that you may have overactive bladder causing your symptoms.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm on an overactive bladder med as stated above and it works during the day but I'm still having trouble with my partner and the pain I get after.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.