How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Uzair Your Own Question
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 9579
Experience:  MBBS. FCPS (R) General Surgery and Traumatology. 5 years experience in Emergency Medicine.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr Uzair is online now

I've had this condition now, the head of my penis

Customer Question

I've had this condition for months now, the head of my penis is red at the tip, red and burning around the head & keeps me awake all the time.
I've been tested for everything sexually twice now and all negative. It's worse after sex or when I get hot down there.
I've had kidney stones & had an opp where the urologist looked into my uretha & said it's fine. But I've had this problem before my kidney stone problems & continueing after.
My urine tests have also come back clean.
Head of my penis is very red & burns. I'm not sure canastin cream is helping. Just seems to help when I keep something cold against me.
Please help
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.
This appears to be Balanitis. This is known as infection / inflammation of the glans (head) of the penis. This can occur due to many reasons, in uncircumcised men the issue is mostly with smegma (secretions) accumulation in the foreskin and causing an irritation and infection of the area, this can be resolved with topical antibiotic ointments and a good hygiene keeping the area clear of smegma and secretions by gently wiping it twice a day.
This can also occur as a reaction to the thrush in the vagina of your partner, so treatment of the partner for vaginal thrush can resolve the issue.
Balanitis can frequently be associated with psoriasis of the penis and in these cases a visit to the Dermatologist is warranted.
Balanitis affects 11 percent men in the US and it is not a very uncommon condition, treatment should be sought in time to avoid discomfort.
If your foreskin is also inflamed then the term used is Balanoposthitis.
I would strongly recommend that you see your Dermatologist for an effective treatment as soon as possible in order to avoid further discomfort.
If you have any queries regarding this, reply back.
Please do leave a positive rating so that I may be able to continue helping you.