How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 20397
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now

, I'm a 64 year old male, generally in good health. For

This answer was rated:

I'm a 64 year old male, generally in good health. For the past few weeks, I've had problems with low urine output - so much so, that if I didn't drink, I doubt if I'd be passing urine at
all. The other symptom I've noticed is that the nerve signals from the bladder seem to be very vague, in that it's very difficult to gauge how full the bladder is. My GP has told me that my prostate is slightly enlarged and I'm now on medication to reduce its size. PSA levels, though, are quite normal. No other symptoms to speak of - renal function blood tests seem fine, also no sign of blood in urine.
Any thoughts or guidance please?
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
Have they done and ultrasound of the bladder to see how much your and you may be retaining in the bladder?
Do you have a history of diabetes or any other neurologic disorder?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
An ultrasound was done at Accident and Emergency at the local hospital, there didn't seem to be any problem.
No history of diabetes or neurological disorder.
If your kidney function was normal on your blood work, then your symptoms are most likely related to your prostate. There are medications on the market such as tamsulosin which are designed to help relieve the problems urinating that you described. I would recommend that your primary doctor consider putting you on one of these medications. If they are not comfortable doing so, then they should consider referring you to a urologist for this. Hope this helps.
Dr. Y. and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you