How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 20397
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now

am prone to UTI . This time it has come back after 10weeks the last few times It has

This answer was rated:

Hi am prone to UTI . This time it has come back after 10weeks the last few times It has been treated with nitrofurantoin but this time the doctor decided to give me Trimethoprim 200mg I am on the 4th day but no improvement. Can I start Nitrofurantoin 50mg today or do I have to take the 5 days of Trimethoprim before starting the other? I am on holiday at the moment & i am very uncomfortable with the symptoms,on other occasions after 2 days there has been improvement.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

Has your doctor done a urine culture to determine the antibiotic switch?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No a urine culture hasn't been done & the doctor only prescribed the other antibiotic because I was leaving on a holiday and I wanted something else as a backup in case the first antibiotic didn't work, as I was already on the 3rd day and my symptoms had become worse. She did say she thought I should finish the course but today I am no better.

OK. At this point, before starting another antibiotics, you definitely need to have a urine culture done first. Otherwise, it is going to be a completel guess as to which antibiotics you relaly need and it sound slike you may have a bacteria that is resistant to certain antibiotics.

If you are out of town, you should seek out the closest urgent care facility near you to have this culture done. Hope this helps.

Dr. Y. and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you