How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 20397
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now

I have been experiencing a burning sensation in my urethra

This answer was rated:

I have been experiencing a burning sensation in my urethra for the past 4 years. It seems to start in September and last through to January. I seen many gps and had sexual health tests, urine tests, blood tests and prostate exam and all were clear. The burning tends to be in my penis and back passage also and I get a cold tacky tip of penis. Iv had antibiotics for possible prostatitis before external exam proved prostate was fine
This sounds like you probably have prostatitis due to bacterial infection. I recommend that your urologist to send the fluid for a culture to identify the bacteria. Alternatively, they can do a semen culture determine exactly which bacteria is causing the infection so they can determine the correct antibiotic. You should be placed on a 30 day course of this antibiotic to clear out the section completely. You need to discuss this with your urologist. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had my prostate examined and told that it was fine? Also had courses of antibiotics and they didn't work
This most certainly sounds like prostatitis. Which antibiotic were you on and for how long? Have they identified any bacteria to treat?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was ciprofloxacin. Think it was a 2 week course possibly 4
Ok. Well in this case, I recommend a semen culture to try to identify the bacteria so the proper antibiotic can be prescribed since it seems like cipro is not the right one.
Dr. Y. and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you