How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 20397
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now

Dear Doctor, Ten days ago, I spotted a small whitish spot

This answer was rated:

Dear Doctor,
Ten days ago, I spotted a small whitish spot or patch on the shaft of my penis, about 1/3 the way up from the base.
It is round, slightly smaller than 1mm in diameter with what looks to me like a tiny, pin-prick sized head in the middle. It has not noticeably increased in size since I first saw it.
The spot/ patch does not feel raised and it is not different in texture to the rest of the skin on my penis.
Yesterday, I went for an inspection at the GUM clinic. Before inspecting me, the nurse gave me a talk preparing me for the possibility that I have a genital wart, which I had already convinced myself was the case.
However, upon inspection, she couldn't seem to see the lesion and said that she couldn't feel anything under the skin and that there was nothing there for her to remove. Her words, were, in effect, that it probably isn't a wart and that I'm stressing out too much and looking too closely and that I shouldn't worry.
She did say though, that, if it was a wart, I may have spotted it early, so to come back if it increases in size.
I am very confused. Although I suppose I should take the advice of a healthcare professional following a visual inspection, I am at a loss to explain what it could be. My own Googling can't find any images of warts that seem definitively the same as the lesion I can see on my penis, but I'm also having difficulty finding images of warts in their early stages.
As background, I had an immediately regretted protected encounter with an escort around 3/4 months ago, and I have been freaking out that I may pass an STD to my wife. After undergoing a full battery of STD tests which have proved negative, I have now become fixated on the possibility of having contracted HPV.
From all the literature I've read online, it sounds unlikely that I would've contracted HPV from a single protected encounter, but obviously that doesn't rule it out and the appearance of this spot has me worried.
I'm in a difficult situation as I am despairing at the thought of infecting my wife, but I'm also aware that I may be panicking over nothing and projecting my guilt and anxiety onto an innocent blemish.
I would like your opinion on whether I should pursue treatment for this spot (and recommend a possible course of action) or whether you believe this to be something other than a genital wart and should stop panicking.
Thank you
Please post s picture of the area so I can see what this may be
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear doctor,Please find attached images.Thanks
Based on these photos, this does not look like a genital wart. It looks more like a fungal infection of the skin. However, your doctors examination is going to be more accurate because I can actually feel the lesion. If you have been sexually active with more than one partner in the past, chances are that you already have HPV. Most sexually active people have HPV. However, most people with HPV do not have any long-term side effects. Some people can develop genital warts. But your body can eventually fight off the virus and suppress the development of warts. I think you should stop panicking about this lesion that you have is I don't think it is a wart. I think it looks to be a fungal infection that may need a topical antifungal cream. You should discuss this with your doctor. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Doctor,Thank you so much for your response. That's very helpful and you've set my mind at ease. I will see what I can do about this possible fungal infection.Would you expect such an infection to increase in size or change in appearance?Best wishes
Yes. This typempfninfsftion can definitely change size and shape.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, Doctor.
You're very welcome. I wish you the very best. Please don't forget to leave me a rating. Thanks.
Dr. Y. and other Urology Specialists are ready to help you