How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 20397
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now

My partners suffers from chronic paint which shoots from his

Customer Question

My partners suffers from chronic paint which shoots from his testicals to the abdominal area. He has surgery on his right tescial few years ago (it was twisted). He was suffering from ABS and was generally unwell couple of years ago. Since then, he could feel pain every now and then. Few months ago (8-9) pain got worse and today pain stops him from working and doing day to day activities. He is 28 and has been prescribed morphine (has been taking it for 2 months now). The pain is so bad that he is embarrassed to go and see people. Standing up, walking, everything is an effort and pain is constant. He has been seeing doctors almost each week. He had two scans, for his abdominal and for the testical. He was waiting almost a month for the results from the second scan. The abdominal scan did not show anything. Last week he has seen specialist to go through his scan results (testical scan). However, doctor has informed him that there is nothing which can be done as they are afraid of making it worse. He has also been referred to pain clinic and has been waiting now 5 months for a letter to come through… Doctor said that this is probably nerve damage. He also might have problems with his epididymis as each time he has erection, the pain is even worse. Nevertheless, it does not seem like anyone is doing anything and I am not quite sure what should we do in this case, where to seek advise. I’m worried that being so long on such strong medications might cause mental issues e.g. depression etc. I’m desperate to find out what to do next….
Would much appreciate your help.
Best Regards,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Urology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have watched a video where the doctor talked about similar pain and situation and said that the next step is nerve injections and possible surgical examination but we do not know where to go to ask about it as I have mentioned, no one seem to move anything forward. I don't think pain clinic will help with cause of the pain, it may help with symptoms but I cannot believe that there is nothing anyone can do...
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Has he been placed on any medications to help nerve pain such as gabapentin?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
If he has been on these medications, then nerve injections and possible nerve removal would be the next step. A world expert I. This area, Dr. Parekattil, was my former partner and he is in the Orlando, Florida area in the USA. Patients fly from all over the world to see him. You can go to his website, for more info and to possibly schedule a phone consultation with him. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think he has. Is there anything we can do here in UK? Where to go next? At The moment costs of the travel and service would not be possible. Is there anywhere we can go in UK to be able to move the process or to make someone actually have a proper look and decide the next step? Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
I don't know his options in the UK. But if he hadn't seen a urologist specifically to address this issue, this is what he needs to do next.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has but they are saying that there is nothing they can do and not pushing it through anywhere else, this is what my question was, what to do next as I'm not sure of where to seek advise...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sending someone to see someone which will cost fortune is not an answer. I ask for an advise on what should be our next step, realistic step through nhs/private UK doctor as of course we don't live in USA... something we can provide gp with or mention the right path. I would go and seek advise seeing private doctor but shall we go and see urologist or someone who would deal with nerves? I don't think I'm very satisfied with an answer you provided me with as pretty much is just sending me.someplace else... I would much appreciate if I could get slightly more helpful and realistic advice. Thank you in advance.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, you are looking for an answer that doesn't exist that easily or else your doctors could have solved this sooner. His problem is a difficult one that requires a specialist in chronic testicular pain to solve the issue. I have provided you probably one of the best contacts in the world to solve this problem. I do not know if anyone in your country who manages this otherwise.