How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Y. Your Own Question
Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Category: Urology
Satisfied Customers: 15027
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Type Your Urology Question Here...
Dr. Y. is online now

I have recently noticed a horizontal swelling at the base of

Customer Question

I have recently noticed a horizontal swelling at the base of my penis. It is about an inch long and quite narrow. When my penis is erect it is quite noticeable almost like a hard vein a third of the what up the shaft. It doesn't cause any discomfort. Can you advise what this could be?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Urology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the swollen area is on the left had side starting on the front of my penis and curving round to the back. I think I have had something there for some time, but it seems larger and more noticeable now. I have thought that it was just a swollen vein when erect in the past and never gave it much thought. It is now much more pronounced when erect and I can feel it when my penis is flaccid. Is this anything to worry about?
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.


Can you post a picture if possible?

Any bending of the penis when erect?

Any pain in the penis ?

Itching or redness?

Please let me know.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Doctor.
No bending of penis when erect.
No pain whatsoever though there is mild sensitivity over the area probably as I have been rubbing it too much. No itching or redness. Superficially everything looks normal.If one was to look down on my penis when erect there is nothing to see other a slight bulge on the left hand side where it curves round. It's almost like a small chord type sensation. In terms of length it is about one and a half fingers long and underneath the skin. Almost like my penis was ribbed. When flaccid it just feels like a little lump under the skin. Does this info help?
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

I guess this to be small sebaceous gland under the skin. These are small sebum producing glands which can swell up and form a cyst under the skin. These cysts can slip under the fingers when tried to feel.

These are harmless and rarely cause problem unless infected.

You can visit your doctor to confirm this diagnosis.

As there is no pain it is less likely to be an infective in origin. Even a blood clot is usually painful and red.

If you have any more questions please let me know.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response. Last question(s) Can they disappear on their own accord? Does what I present sound like anything that could be serious?What about lymphocele or fibrosis?Could this be an injury as a result of extensive sexual activity and could it disappear or get smaller of its accord?Should I wait a week or two before seeing a doctor to see if symptoms have reduced or disappeared?Many thanks for your response
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

If is a blood clot or inflammation then it would subside of its own. Sebaceous cysts rarely disappear spontaneously.

Injuries are painful and self explanatory- you immediately find it and relate it to the injury. Lymphoceles don't present like this.

Fibrosis is nothing but scar tissue which is usually an aftermath of an injury.If it is due to injury then it will remodel itself to smaller size as long as there is no repetitive injury.

I hope this helps you