Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General Practice
Experience:  Years of experience with general surgery and urgent care

Why is it that whenever I am anxious or stressed I seem to

Hi. Why is it that whenever I am anxious or stressed I seem to have chronic tension and aching on my anus and lower back???? Had this on and off for 9 or so years and have had thousands of tests and nothing has been found. It goes away when I sleep. It can go away for weeks at a time and come back again for a week or so. No constipation or blood etc

Hello I'm Dr Chip

What tests have you had?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Rectal examinations. Many proctoscope tests and a pelvic mri scan. Also saw a pelvic floor physio therapist

And how long does it last?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's pretty much constant all day. And can last for a few days
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But if I am distracted or even after a few beers it eases of and can go away completely. At least until the next time I think about it

Can you please tell me more about what happens?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Basically I have a sort of dull ache or pressure sensation in my anus and lower back. I can feel tension there. A pelvic floor therapist found a very tense muscle when they did an internal exam and when they pressed on it my symptoms were replicated. Sometimes having a bowel movement or passing gas can feel like relief for a while. But I am so obsessed with this problem which makes it worse. Like I say I can be feeling fine with no problems but as soon as it comes into my head I feel it coming on again.

Was the term proctalgia fugax ever mentioned to you?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it was. A colorectal surgeon said that's what it was. But I thought it was just very sharp stabbing pains??? I suffer from huge anxiety which is where this comes from I believe. I used to be affraid of cancer or prolapse or infection but all that was ruled out. And i guess after 9 years it would be quite pronounced by now haha. And it would go away for a while

Did you ever get any treatment for it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm on sertraline. But was told I need to stop the obsession and constant googling.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
A colorectal surgeon said that as soon as I break the patterns it will go away. And i have had about 9 months without it. I was so happy but I hurt my back and felt a little twinge in my anus and I freaked out thinking oh my god it's back
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Does it sound like proctalgia fugax?? I was told it's pelvic floor tension
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Or levator ani syndrome
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Either way it doesn't sound like anything nasty does It???

It sounds more like levator ani syndrome but it's absolutely nothing nasty

Not cancer or anything like that

But I do think it becomes more of a problem for you because of your anxiety and obsessing on it

But I think in time it'll stop being a problem for you

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How does anxiety cause this issue??? Is it just purely tension? And like I say serious problems don't go away and come back

Purely tension causing the pelvic muscle spasms

And you're right--serious problems don't come and go like that

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I really wish I could stop the over thinking. I need to quit googling for answers when I know them deep down. I have started using voltarol gel around my tailbone area which seems to help. I also take fibre supplements

The voltaren will help

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you