Dr. David
Dr. David, Physician Experienced in Urology
Experience:  Board Certified Physician with extensive experience in Urology
41363181

Approx 5 years ago addenbrookes performed my 3rd prostrate

hi approx 5 years ago addenbrookes performed my 3rd prostrate biopsy ,this one was different they went in via the perrineum. since then i have suffered 2 things which theyre not prepared to investigate further as a result of the surgery i suspect.One is a tender testicle (diagnosed as nerve damage) and watery brown semen (smells like urine ).i can cope with the testicle indeed if it plays up i have medication for it ,but im wondering if theres a connection? After all my other biopsies my semen went normal in a fortnight but not this time .it is ruining my life .my gp has spoken to addenbrookes all they say is it will resolve itself ,really? how long i wonder? im 64 have bph and a high psa of 17 .i also have prostatitis caused i suspect by previous biopsies over the years. ive had cipro before which doesnt work .i did see a private doctor once he wanted to do a bladder investigation ,i said my bladder is ok ,he also wanted to do a prostrate massage ,but i declined as i couldnt see why he would need to do another bladder investigation .if this was old blood surely it would have gone by now ? it started red went dark brown and is now lightish brown but watery and smells like urine .my urine is fine its just the semen .because of my high psa im being monitored by addenbrookes every 6 months ,its at 17 and has been up and down ranging from 15-17 .they have not found cancer .ive had mri scans the lot .
i also supplied a sample of my brown coloured semen to them which they looked at and said theres no need for concern .....
any ideas on what is causing this brown semen would really help
many thanks
***** *****

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you have had this result after many prostate biopsies.

that is good they haven't found prostate cancer.

5 years is a long time.

the prostate makes the majority of fluid for semen.

from the many prostate biopsies, this must have damaged some of the pluming in the prostate gland so that some urine from the bladder or urethra is getting into the semen.

the brown color can be from blood in the prostate gland.

there are many blood vessels in the prostate gland and the blood can stay there for a long time, even after prostate biopsies.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hi doctor ,
thanks for your reply
is there any remedy for this at all ? medication? operation?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
is a prostrate massage a remedy for this?

a remedy for brown, watery, urine smelling semen after many prostate biopsies before, most likely not.

more operations won't help

that is a good thing you are able to have erections and ejaculations.

many men who have prostate cancer and have their prostate removed can't have erections or ejaculations

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i take it im stuck with it and theres nothing i can do?

have you tried going to a vegetarian diet or vegan diet?

that could help you heal the area.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok ill try that im also a coeliac which vegetarion would be ok for .do you recommend herbal medicines and if so which ones ?

any vegetarian diet or vegan diet could be helpful.

so you avoid gluten at this point. that is good.

no herbal medications are known to help the prostate heal from multiple prostate biopsies.

avoiding alcohol and smoking will help as well.

are you doing regular exercise?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i drink very rarely and have been on e cigs for 5 years .i do go to the gym once a week but will soon be going more regular .
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ill take your advice doc but one last question ,do you thunk it will ever get back to normal and if so any idea how long it will take ?

I see.

work on more regular exercise which can help improve blood circulation.

eating more fruits and vegetables can promote healing in your body.

getting proper sleep at night time is helpful for healing.

try not to stress about your semen

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

it is unknown

everyone heals at their own rate.

semen quality is a very delicate matter

not much medical research has been done on it.

biopsy through the perineum is not as common as through the rectum

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thanks doc ..
best regardskevin

HDR brachytherapy and LDR brachytherapy into the prostate gland is often done through the perineum,

and I have done these cases with ultrasound guidance with an ultrasound probe in the rectum.

I have not seen this complication.

usually because the prostate is radiated with radioactive seeds

and the gland dries up over several months and very little to no semen is produced after that

do you see the ratings area?

thanks for using JustAnswer.com